PDA

View Full Version : Angels, Specificly Flame

ShesEasy
03/30/2015, 08:27 PM
I come to you all with a question of why you always see angels in with a reef tank yet I hear from every one in the stores, and reading online not to mix coral and angels as the angels nip and such.

I would love a Flame Angel but I would also way rather have beautiful and healthy SPS

so why is it you see angels and coral spite the warnings?

Portsie
03/30/2015, 08:30 PM
Best I can say is that to some it's worth the risk. I have a flame angel in my 90g mixed reef because I think it's a beautiful fish. It nips at small polyps sometimes, so most sps and some lps don't have the polyp extension I'd like, but to me it's worth it.

ShesEasy
03/30/2015, 08:36 PM
yeah i guess i just have to make a choice hahahah

Triton_Z
03/30/2015, 08:39 PM
It's a chance with angels in general.

If you can't stand the risk of a nipper, I would find another fish. They are great looking little fish and one of my favorites.

ca1ore
03/30/2015, 08:41 PM
Well, if you are specifically talking about SPS, then most dwarf Angels are fine. Not so fine with LPS or clams.

Pife
03/30/2015, 08:41 PM
It's because of all the beautiful colors of them. The pymgy angels have been kept successfully in a reef tanks.

ShesEasy
03/30/2015, 09:48 PM
yeah i only have one LPS a torch specificly rest is SPS

i dunno lol gota chance it maybe if not im damn sure my store i use would gladly take it back

twon8
03/30/2015, 09:51 PM
It is hit or miss. I've got a flagfin angel in a reef and he's a pretty model citizen except for eating zoas if I were to put some in the tank.

GT350pwns
03/31/2015, 01:26 AM
I've not had any bad luck with my flame angel and he has been in the reef for a year.

Lately the tank has shifted to be more of an SPS dominated mixed reef, but he has never even glanced at any of the LPS in the tank (frogspawn, octospawn, and 2 different branching hammers).

The only problem I have with my flame is aggression and that is probably due to him being a newby impulse buy for my 36 gallon. Whenever I upgrade, the 36 will be staying up long enough for me to stock any other fish I'd want and then the angel will be added LAST.