PDA

View Full Version : 75 gal fowlr stock! Please help

dericke171
03/30/2015, 10:50 PM
Hey everyone. Before i say anything i will let you all know i am new to this and this is my first saltwater setup. I was hoping you guys could help me out. I'm trying to get my stock of fish setup for my tank. A little about my tank: have about 100 lbs of live rock and sand. have a 30 gal refugium.

Right now I have 3 chromis, 2 damsels, 1 diamond goby, 4 trochus snails, 6 hermit crabs.

I was looking at maybe removing the damsels and my wish list right now is:

- 6 line wrasse (1 or 2?)
-tomini tang
-blonde naso tang ( I know it will get to big but I was going to look for a smaller size one and when it gets to big I do have somewhere to take it)
-one spot foxface
-coral beauty angelfish
-green/red/spotted mandarin (if any which would be better)
-pearlscale butterfly fish

Please let me know what you think. Anything I need to take away. Anything differently I can add. I don't want to overcrowd but I definetly don't want to not have my full potential on my tank. Any inputs would help. Thanks

jjk_reef00
03/31/2015, 09:17 PM
Take away the Naso, they grow fast and get huge. I wouldn't rely on someone taking becasue people's plans change.

6 line's are aggressive, I'd pick one or more less agressive wrasses.

dericke171
03/31/2015, 10:35 PM
Thank you. Do you have any suggestions as far as livestock to go into my tank

golferbud101691
03/31/2015, 10:46 PM
6 lines do get pretty aggressive and territorial. There are plenty of other wrasses. The mandarin probably wont live unless you add a refugium. Getting one to eat frozen food is a pain and sometimes they will eat frozen food and then randomly stop..so probably not a good idea. Some kind of tang would be good? Cardinals?

mitchrapp
04/01/2015, 03:41 AM
I have a 75g FOWLR as well and considered a kole tang and a one spot foxface as well and the feedback I got from the experts here is that they are both algae grazers and a 75g FOWLR will not have enough algae for both of them, which may lead to aggression.

Mandarins are known to be very difficult to care for, so I would wait until you are more experienced before getting one.

dericke171
04/01/2015, 07:29 AM
Thanks for the input. I appreciate it

Rilelen
04/01/2015, 10:01 AM
I have a one-spot foxface and kole tang in my 72g, who appear quite happy. Both were very small when I got them and have grown a tremendous amount in the past two years, with no signs of aggression. However, I do supplement with nori very regularly (almost daily) and let nutrient levels stay a teensy bit elevated to encourage algae growth on the back wall (which I don't scrape).

I was unsure about the combo as well and only decided to give it a try after checking in with the LFS and making sure they'd be willing to trade one of the fish if it didn't work out. If I ever see any signs of aggression or stress in either of the fish, then off to the LFS they will go, but everyone's been quite happy (and healthy!) up until now.

dericke171
04/01/2015, 01:15 PM
Thanks rilelen that's put my mind at ease now because I really wanted both those fish. I will look into getting nori. Is it a type of seaweed for them to eat?

dericke171
04/02/2015, 01:08 PM
Hey everyone so I just wanted to do a quick update on my stock listing for my tank. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
-coral beauty angelfish
-blenny?? Any particular one in mind. That would help
-sunset butterfly fish
-pair of cinnamon clowns??not sure if they would be compatible
-one-spot foxface
-long-nose hawkfish
-tomini tang
-leopard wrasse
-chalk bass.
Please let me know what you think with any suggestions

jjk_reef00
04/02/2015, 07:42 PM
Your list seems reasonable to me.
You could add another butterfly or two.
And one or more reef safe wrasses (flasher and/or fairy) could be nice additions.

dericke171
04/02/2015, 08:46 PM
Thank you. That puts my mind at ease. What order should I introduce them into my tank