PDA

View Full Version : Overflow water alert

tjiddy
03/31/2015, 09:55 AM
I have a bulkheads at the top of a my sump, RO, and SW mixing containers which are all plumbed into floor drains. While this is great for preventing flooding, I'd like to be alerted if water starts flowing through these overflows. Does anyone know of anything that could accomplish this?

rynoe
03/31/2015, 11:33 AM
Do you run a controller of any kind? There are many ways to do this with a controller, if you don't run a controller you could use a leak detector designed for water coolers.

tjiddy
04/01/2015, 01:14 PM
Do you run a controller of any kind? There are many ways to do this with a controller, if you don't run a controller you could use a leak detector designed for water coolers.

Im running an apex, so I know I can watch the salinity and make sure the ATO isnt causing my sump to overflow, but I'm more curious about if my RODI unit were to get stuck on and overflowed my container. I was hoping to find a little section of tubing like a flow meter with a paddle wheel which can detect if water is traveling through it. Ideally it would just hook up to my apex IO breakout box and I can program to shut off my RO solenoid and send me an alert.

I guess I can put an emergency "oh crap" float at the very top of the containers.

slief
04/01/2015, 01:38 PM
If you run an Apex, just get a float switch and mount it at a level just above normal water level in your holding containers but just below the overflow level. When the switch is activated, have the Apex send you an email and text alert and also activate the solenoid. I use high and low level horizontal bulkhead style float switches in my RODI container that activate my RODI unit and shut it off.

jem454
04/02/2015, 02:15 AM
The easy way.

http://www.faucetdepot.com/faucetdepot/ProductDetail.asp?Product=29753&AffiliateID=GoogleDirectFeed&gclid=Cj0KEQjw0fOoBRDn88Pol8bqhN0BEiQARGVJKvDzKxI400ykvame4h7-wtrAINeGeHJAVBW78CEDXhIaAn4n8P8HAQ

jem454
04/02/2015, 02:18 AM
Sorry, just noticed you have an apex.
I'm setting up an audible alarm like the one I linked to for peace of mind.

trivan
04/02/2015, 04:56 AM
As posted a float switch would do it, but if you can't install one due to the location, the Apex water sensor works well, but you will only get notified when there is a leak, which sometimes maybe too late. I use a combination of both.