PDA

View Full Version : how to strerilize materials from ich

setluki
03/31/2015, 08:17 PM
hello

I want to know how many way we can take to sterilize materials from ich?Heating, freezing,bleaching,drying the equipment will be a good way to sterilize it ?Let me know what you do thank you!

Deinonych
03/31/2015, 08:41 PM
Drying completely for 24 hours or more will destroy all stages of the parasite.

ThRoewer
04/01/2015, 12:25 AM
Freezing may work but is something I would consider highly unreliable and risky.

Raising the temperature to 40 °C or above for at least an hour will kill will kill all stages. Of course boiling items to be sterilized will work reliably too.
I usually go to 50 to 60 °C for an hour with items that can't be boiled like pumps that have PVC parts. (I tried boiling a pump once and ruined it :headwally:)
Small artificial "live" rocks, ceramics and the like get boiled.

I find drying over only 24 hours too insecure with items that have small, deep cavities that might hold moisture for a prolonged time. Unfortunately many pumps fall into that category and also can't be boiled.

Bleach and drying works best for tanks (or plastic containers), PVC tube ends and fittings and similarly smooth and open objects.

For TTM the safest method is to have 4 of everything - one set for each step. That way you don't need to scramble to clean and dry while doing TTM.

Deinonych
04/01/2015, 12:24 PM
Bleach and drying works best for tanks (or plastic containers), PVC tube ends and fittings and similarly smooth and open objects.

For TTM the safest method is to have 4 of everything - one set for each step. That way you don't need to scramble to clean and dry while doing TTM.

+1

For TTM equipment I use bleach soaks for 24 hours followed by a rinse and thorough drying (24 hours minimum - usually close to 72 hours). I have three sets of everything, though.

ThRoewer
04/01/2015, 01:23 PM
Yes, I would consider 3 of everything the bare minimum to do TTM safely without hassle.
I just put a pipefish through TTM. I had enough of the 1 gallon shoe boxes but only one of the tiny fountain pumps. So I had to sterilize in hot water every time. I don't ever want to it that way again.

Deinonych
04/01/2015, 06:53 PM
You can do it with just two tanks, but I agree three sets of heaters, powerheads etc. makes things much easier. I just wipe down the tank with bleach, rinse and towel dry the same day I do the transfer. That gives me more than 48 hours of thorough drying before I refill.

capindc
04/01/2015, 07:11 PM
You guys should look in to hydrogen peroxide H2O2 pool grade 27% I use 2 cups for every 50 Gallons

setluki
04/01/2015, 08:33 PM
thank you guys for all your reply

for the peroxyde you let soaks the materials in this solution for how long and what is the success with this methode?

ThRoewer
04/01/2015, 08:53 PM
Peroxide works where bleach works, but like bleach it may not get into every small crevice.

Psionicdragon
04/01/2015, 10:21 PM
bleach

maddhugan
01/24/2016, 09:51 PM
Freezing may work but is something I would consider highly unreliable and risky.

Raising the temperature to 40 °C or above for at least an hour will kill will kill all stages. Of course boiling items to be sterilized will work reliably too.
I usually go to 50 to 60 °C for an hour with items that can't be boiled like pumps that have PVC parts. (I tried boiling a pump once and ruined it :headwally:)
Small artificial "live" rocks, ceramics and the like get boiled.

I find drying over only 24 hours too insecure with items that have small, deep cavities that might hold moisture for a prolonged time. Unfortunately many pumps fall into that category and also can't be boiled.

I just set up a new tank and some how ich got in there. I pulled all the fish out. So now I want to kill ich cysts quickly (don't want to wait 8 to 12 weeks or quarter of a yr, because we all live approximately only for about 80 yrs if we are lucky). So the questions is ......... can I rise the temp of the whole tank which has rocks and water to 45 C ? Will the marine ich cysts die? does 45 C RUIN A PUMP? Please let me know.

ThRoewer
01/25/2016, 02:03 AM
According to lab findings anything above 40°C should do the trick.