PDA

View Full Version : Coming back to the hobby after 5 years off, need advice!

werkkrew
04/01/2015, 09:34 AM
Hey All,

Before I start with questions, allow me to (re)introduce myself. I am a pretty well seasoned reef keeper, I have had 3 different reef tanks in my life with the largest being 100 gallon mixed reef with mostly SPS. I got out of the hobby a few years ago because in the process of buying a new house we had to move twice in the span of 3 months and moving my aquarium around and risking killing everything in it seemed like an irresponsible decision.
Now that my living situation is stable, I want to get back into it. My house is not quite as large as where I was living before so a tank of 100 gallons or larger is pretty much out of the question...

Anyhow, I have a starting hardware budget of about $3000-4000 and as it has been about 5 years since I have been into the hobby, a lot has changed. I have spent the last 3-4 weeks heavily researching things and I think I have a pretty good setup picked out but I wanted some feedback before I go ahead and pull the trigger. I am starting literally 100% from scratch. When I got out of the hobby I got rid of everything down to the last test kit and net.
Most of my questions surround the initial starting platform (tank/stand/sump) setup. I was originally looking at smaller "nano" AIO tanks like the Red Sea C-series, JBJ, etc. in the 29-34 gallon range, but I have since decided that I would be a lot happier with something in the 65-90 gallon range with a full size sump.

What I have nearly settled on is a the CAD Lights Artisan II, 70 Gallon[1] system as well as their bio reactor and protein skimmer. The main reason I have not pulled the trigger yet is twofold. One, I have read just as many highly negative reviews about CAD Lights as I have good ones, so I am a little nervous about their brand quality. Two, I am hesitant to try to buy things as a package vs. buying "best of breed" parts for each area (in this case the sump, skimmer and reactor). Other systems that have caught my eye are the Red Sea REEFER, the Red Sea Max S-series, and the Elos System 100, but each one of those has several little things about it that makes me not want it. For example, I don't like the sump on the REEFER, I don't like having to pay for lights on the Max S-series, and the Elos is simply too expensive.

Anyhow, I suppose my question to you guys is, if you were in my position to start 100% fresh on a tank in the 65-90 gallon range and had $3-4k to spend on everything (INCLUDING lights, live rock, sand, salt, RO/DI unit, refractometer, etc. but EXCLUDING any livestock) what would be your "dream" system? Keep in mind my goal is a mixed reef with predominantly SPS and Zoanthids. I can't help but feeling like I can stretch my money further and get better equipment if I stop looking at packages.
If you are curious, here is one the configurations I have put together that I am on the edge of buying:

Google Docs Link (Hey All,
Before I start with questions, allow me to introduce myself. I am a pretty well seasoned reef keeper, I have had 3 different reef tanks in my life with the largest being 100 gallon mixed reef with mostly SPS. I got out of the hobby a few years ago because in the process of buying a new house we had to move twice in the span of 3 months and moving my aquarium around and risking killing everything in it seemed like an irresponsible decision.
Now that my living situation is stable, I want to get back into it. My house is not quite as large as where I was living before so a tank of 100 gallons or larger is pretty much out of the question...
Anyhow, I have a starting hardware budget of about $3000-4000 and as it has been about 5 years since I have been into the hobby, a lot has changed. I have spent the last 3-4 weeks heavily researching things and I think I have a pretty good setup picked out but I wanted some feedback before I go ahead and pull the trigger. I am starting literally 100% from scratch. When I got out of the hobby I got rid of everything down to the last test kit and net.
Most of my questions surround the initial starting platform (tank/stand/sump) setup. I was originally looking at smaller "nano" AIO tanks like the Red Sea C-series, JBJ, etc. in the 29-34 gallon range, but I have since decided that I would be a lot happier with something in the 65-90 gallon range with a full size sump.
What I have nearly settled on is a the CAD Lights Artisan II, 70 Gallon[1] system as well as their bio reactor and protein skimmer. The main reason I have not pulled the trigger yet is twofold. One, I have read just as many highly negative reviews about CAD Lights as I have good ones, so I am a little nervous about their brand quality. Two, I am hesitant to try to buy things as a package vs. buying "best of breed" parts for each area (in this case the sump, skimmer and reactor). Other systems that have caught my eye are the Red Sea REEFER, the Red Sea Max S-series, and the Elos System 100, but each one of those has several little things about it that makes me not want it. For example, I don't like the sump on the REEFER, I don't like having to pay for lights on the Max S-series, and the Elos is simply too expensive.
Anyhow, I suppose my question to you guys is, if you were in my position to start 100% fresh on a tank in the 65-90 gallon range and had $3-4k to spend on everything (INCLUDING lights, live rock, sand, salt, RO/DI unit, refractometer, etc. but EXCLUDING any livestock) what would be your "dream" system? Keep in mind my goal is a mixed reef with predominantly SPS and Zoanthids. I can't help but feeling like I can stretch my money further and get better equipment if I stop looking at packages.
If you are curious, here is one the configurations I have put together that I am on the edge of buying:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lFDgBiHaBzFv3CHb32SJ6SqR-9ft-41w-0m0DzC6zqA/edit?usp=sharing)

d2mini
04/01/2015, 09:42 AM
As an experienced reefer, you probably won't be happy with an AIO setup.
As far as equipment goes, there are better choices than CADlights for reactors and skimmers.
Look at LifeReef for skimmer and for reactors check out Reef Dynamics, MRC, Avast...

Your link isn't working for me.

rwb500
04/01/2015, 10:01 AM
why not go for a good old-fashioned standard glass tank and sump? a 75, 90, or 120 gallon tank with stand, canopy, and sump would be an excellent base system for whatever equipment you want to run.

generally the all-in-one setups are not a good choice for experienced reefers. they are simply attractive to newbies because when you buy one you don't have to make very many decisions, or DIY anything.

werkkrew
04/01/2015, 11:07 AM
Fixed the google link, sorry about that.

Heres the right link: Google Docs (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lFDgBiHaBzFv3CHb32SJ6SqR-9ft-41w-0m0DzC6zqA/edit?usp=sharing)

werkkrew
04/01/2015, 11:09 AM
Well, I don't really consider the systems I am looking at All In One, at least from the perspective that they aren't those self enclosed cubes. Most of what I am looking at only includes, tank, stand, and sump.

If I was to edit my build right now it would be opening up options on a different tank/stand, and a best of breed sump/skimmer/reactor vs. the ones that come with the packages I am currently looking at.

RocketEngineer
04/01/2015, 12:35 PM
The best of breed for some of these are DIY.

If I could go back in time, I would have started with a 120. 48" is very easy to find lighting for (compared to the 72" I have now), 24" tall is good for most corals but shallow enough that I don't have to go swimming to work in the tank or use monster lights, and the 24" width gives you plenty of space for both rock work and open sand bed (I like brain corals).

The best drain system is a Bean Animal (http://www.beananimal.com/projects/silent-and-fail-safe-aquarium-overflow-system.aspx) setup using a coast-to-coast overflow box. On a glass tank, this would involve drilling 3 holes in the back of the tank and using silicone to mount two pieces of glass. Other than having the nerve to apply a spinning diamond bit to the tank you just purchased, it isn't technically challenging to make it work. There is a whole thread in the DIY forum on how to do this with a bunch of folks offering tips to make it easy to figure out.

To me, these fancy sumps I see are a waste of money. The only folks that are really going to look at it are you and other aquarists who won't be bothered by a simple glass box. I've built two sumps stating with a 40B from Petco's $1/g sale and got 1/4" glass from a local window shop (not the thin stuff from the box stores). The silicone for both the sump and the overflow can be purchased online with Momentive RTV 108 being the most common silicone ADHESIVE for this kind of work. Both sumps cost me about $100 each and took a weekend to put together. A little scrap lumber and some leftover painters tape and I was in business.

In my case I built both my kalk reactor and skimmer from kits. Avast Marine (http://www.avastmarine.com/ssc/) sells both finished units as well as DIY kits for all sorts of projects. I like their skimmer in particular because it has a smoked acrylic body that doesn't grow coraline algae like my old skimmer did. Being a recirculating style it does require a feed pump of some kind but isn't affected by sump water level which is nice.

I tried the DIY LED route and crashed the tank as a result. Since I got burned with that, I've used a combo of T5 retrofit kits and a BuildMyLED strip. Starting over, I might consider T5/Kessil combo to get the shimmer lines but avoid the shadows. Plus, the T5 fill in under the center brace more easily than the very directional LEDs would.

For liverock/sand take a look at The Package (http://www.tampabaysaltwater.com/thepackage/index.html) by Tampa Bay Saltwater. I went with it on my office 40G build and like it so far. Once I get the second half in about a week I will be in a better place to give a review. I've also used dry rock made into structures and dry sand combined with rinsed sand I already had. Dry stuff doesn't have the potential pests but it also lacks all the interesting critters that come on the wet stuff. The rocks from TBS got shipped totally submerged which was something I couldn't find anywhere else. One option would be to do a combination of dry rock/sand and use quality LR to seed the rest of the tank.

There is a lot to consider so keep researching. Try not to repeat our mistakes, they can be expensive.

HTH,

d2mini
04/01/2015, 02:18 PM
Heck ya, TBS FTMFW!!! :D

ClownsRCoo
04/01/2015, 03:08 PM
I would definately piece it out yourself. You can save a lot of money if you are somewhat handy.

Tank - $300 (90g marineland)
Stand - $300 (you build)
Sump - $75 (40g breeder and supplies)
Doser- $120 (2 BRS dosers) find them used and save a ton on this
Reactors- $110 (1 BRS w/ MJ1200 + 1 BRS reactor seperate) Can save a ton buying used. For the price these are good reactors if used seperately. Just use one MJ1200 and put carbon in first one since flow speed doesnt matter as much and then a ball valve between first and second to adjust flow for GFO in second. I have a avast marine and two little fishies ones as well and both suck. Avast is too hard to change media out and the two little fishies ones has cheap connections and feels super cheap.

Powerheads- $400 (2 MP-40's) - with the quiet drives out now a lot of people will be selling their normal MP-40's for around $200 or less.

Return Pump - $75 - Can find a decent sized mag pump or something comparable for this range
Heater - $35
Lights - $620 (ATI 8 bulb sunpower) I have the 6 bulb and am growing things just fine now but 2 extra bulbs would be sweet. You can find pretty good deals on these used too and sometimes local even. Solid light and cheap for the quality. You can always add LED strips like reefbreeders or something to it down the line.

Skimmer - $550ish (Lifereef 24" or Aquamaxx are good and affordable brands w/ great reviews)
ATO - $150 (Auto Aqua Smart ATO)
Apex - $524 (full system with standard PH probe)
RODI Unit - $220 (Bulk Reef Supply 6 stage unit)
Water Storage Containers - $80 ( brute trash cans)
Pump for RODI containers - $99 (Pan World 30px) Good enough to mix water and send it a pretty good ways to your tank. Can always find better options used.

Refractometer - $30
Test Kits - $100
Salt - $50 (instant ocean)
Filter Media (GFO & Carbon ) $40
Dry Rock - $190 (100lbs @ ReefCleaners.org) good stuff and one of the cheapest options available.
Live Sand - $100 (Do half live sand and have dry aragonite)
Plumbing -$80
Mag Cleaner - $35 (Tunze Long) best mag cleaner hands down.
Misc Supplies - $100

I know i missed things but that is a very accurate list, i just didnt feel like literally pricing and listing every single thing.

Total ~$4400

That would be a pretty sweet list. Like i mentioned you could really save a lot if you waited for good deals on used items. Can prob get it right at or below 4k.

werkkrew
04/01/2015, 08:15 PM
Thanks so much for the highly detailed list, really appreciate it!

bower23
04/07/2015, 07:38 PM
I typed a long thing and it timed out and lost it all. ugh..
I'm in the same boat and starting a new tank. I went with a custom acrylic tank from Acrylic Creations in Butler Pa $200 for a 44g shallow reef with built in overflows. I would definitely go AI Hydra, MP40 Quiet Drive, Apex controller, Vertex skimmer, BRS RO/DI, BRS dosing pumps, and I'm going to do a couple MiniMax reactors because I like how easy they are to change media. Good luck man!