PDA

View Full Version : quarantine tank size

Grnorton
04/02/2015, 11:40 AM
ok so basically what happened is i set up a 180 gallon system and cycled it first with the live rock from my old tank and 1 clownfish then added another clown, then a midas blend, then 2 filefish, then a melanarus wrasse, and then a hippo tang and a yellow tang. i had no inverts or any of the like so i treated with prazipro in the display and ran hypo salinity for 6 weeks. (1.009). everyone survived and 2 weeks later my blue hippo has ick. well crap. soooooo. i set up a 29 gallon hospital tank in the event that things didn't go so hot and now i need to use it. can i qt this many fish in a 29 gallon tank as long as my husbandry is impeccable?
blue tang (the size of about 2.5 quarters)
yellow tang (50 cent piece size)
midas blenny is full grown i believe
wrasse is full grown (3.5" is)
firefish are obviously tiny
clowns are still small 2" and about 1.5"

my plan is to run them in the 29 gallon for 8 weeks while the display goes fallow. run copper for 4 weeks and then observe for 4 weeks. can this be done?
how do the tangs wrasse and filefish react to copper? i know the clowns do well but anyone with experience?

Kidd Reef
04/02/2015, 12:15 PM
Sounds doable to me. Ive done 5 fish ranging from 2-3 inches in a 10 gallon with no problems. and IIRC there was a reefer on here or another forum that managed something like 11 fish in a 20 long?

as long as there was no aggression between inhabitants and the tank was fully cycled before they were introduced it, and as you mentioned spot on husbandry. id say its within reason you could pull it off.

Edit:Went back and checked up on the reefer i mentioned and it was SDguy with around 8 fish(although 4 much larger than what your dealing with) in a 15 if i read correctly. though he does mention daily water changes

MellowReefer
04/02/2015, 11:08 PM
Many people have found that wrasses don't do well with copper and often die from it. I would do tank transfer instead. Good luck.

MellowReefer
04/03/2015, 12:12 AM
Many people have found that wrasses don't do well with copper and often die from it. I would do tank transfer instead. Good luck.

ThRoewer
04/03/2015, 01:04 AM
TTM would be preferable over copper.

As for the failure of your hyposalinity treatment - how did you measure the salinity?
And if using a refractometer, how did you calibrate it?
Normally a salinity below 1.011 should rid the fish of all cryptocaryon and prevent protomonts from encysting.
Of course if your tank was already infected you may have had already encysted tomonts in your system and those may survive. So you either need to do hypo for the full 72 days or do it in a hospital tank that you can sterilize and clean.