PDA

View Full Version : Biocube running too hot

ag09g
04/03/2015, 08:47 AM
So my friend bought her father a biocube this past Christmas so that he could begin his foray into the reefkeeping world. A few weeks ago she texted me that he was freaking out because his tank was "too hot" and the guy at the aquarium store said he needed to lower the temperature or his corals wouldn't thrive. At that time, she told me the tank was running 81.5 degrees at its maximum, and I told her if that's as high as it was getting it shouldn't be an issue.

Today she texted me and told me that the tank is running 85-86, and that she wants to buy him a chiller.

Apparently he has tried turning the lights of for the majority of the day, but that this only lowered the temp to 83. I'm assuming the issue here is that the hood is excellent at keeping the tank warm, but I don't really know what advice to give to circumvent the issue.

Does anyone have any experience/suggestions on how to solve this problem or have any experience with chillers?

I'm sorry in advance if I didn't provide enough details! Again, not my tank, just trying to help a friend

Thanks in advance for any help! :)

ChimneyGuyJoe
04/03/2015, 09:36 AM
I installed LEDs on my biocube which made a huge difference over the power compacts it comes with I also open the back access door to let some heat out. The LEDs kit cost around 200-300 dollars for nice kit very easy to do yourself.

ryeguyy84
04/03/2015, 09:48 AM
blow a fan across the water surface, you'd be amazed at how much that can lower the temp.

has anyone checked the heater? could it be stuck on or set to high?

ag09g
04/03/2015, 09:55 AM
ChimneyGuyJoe - Actually I didn't think about suggesting the LEDs, thanks! I also told her to have him open the feeding hatch and see if that helps...we shall see

ryeguyy- I'm sorry this will sound stupid haha, but where would one put the fan? Under the hood? or blowing over the back compartments? Also, as far as I'm aware there is no heater :)

saf1
04/03/2015, 10:23 AM
One of the weakest links in bio-cubes - heat. I've had two both with similar issues. Even with LED's, while a bit cooler, can still increase heat.

1. You can leave the back door open a bit for hot air to escape - as noted above
2. Check heater - Honestly, I never ran one in my two 29 gallon bio-cubes
3. Check fans in hood - if these are the Oceanic ones, for a while they had faulty fans and I had mine replaced - you can also use some compressed air and blow them out. Later I replaced them to more / higher efficient fans anyway.
4. Convert to LED - Steve's and Rapid both make kits and I have used both. Use a storm x or other controller if this is an established tank so you don't burn your corals. You also don't need to run them at 100% anyway - which will keep them cooler
5. Water flow - how many power heads are in the tank, and what size - that also contributes to heat.

ryeguyy84
04/03/2015, 10:56 AM
ChimneyGuyJoe - Actually I didn't think about suggesting the LEDs, thanks! I also told her to have him open the feeding hatch and see if that helps...we shall see

ryeguyy- I'm sorry this will sound stupid haha, but where would one put the fan? Under the hood? or blowing over the back compartments? Also, as far as I'm aware there is no heater :)

I used to use a clip on fan. If you can leave the feeding hatch open blow air through there. Really anywhere you can get airflow in

Johnnycat
04/03/2015, 10:29 PM
After trying everything with no success, I ended up buying a chiller for mine - expensive, but problem solved.

ryeguyy84
04/04/2015, 06:17 AM
What's the temp in the house?

Breadman03
04/04/2015, 08:16 AM
How old is the tank? Did it have the same problem this time last year? Or might there be buildup in the pumps causing them to run warmer?