PDA

View Full Version : Got new sump and skimmer a month or so ago

camaroguy
04/03/2015, 10:51 PM
Hi

I picked up an Elite Aquatics RS40 and a Bubble King skimmer a while back and finally got around to installing them. My old sump and skimmer just weren't working for me. Since I had to redo the plumbing for the sump, I picked up some furniture grade red/white PVC to match the BK and the sump. Don't mind the cords, I have some more work to do in the stand before I can clean those up.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8725/17026631265_150a8b949a_b.jpg

Let me know what you guys think. Is there something else I should do before finishing up the wiring?

moondoggy4
04/04/2015, 10:57 AM
Looks really good. What is the device on the back right of the sump. Maybe add a shutoff valve on top of the return pump. Your does not look like it can handle a lot of water if there is a power outage.

camaroguy
04/04/2015, 12:04 PM
The drain is a Bean Animal style with coast to coast overflow that is only about 5" deep. The maximum amount of water that can drain back into the sump is 6 gallons. There is easily 15 gallons of extra space in the sump, so there are no problems with that. We tested cutting power a couple of times, and never got loser than 3" from the top.

Given that, I didn't want to complicate the plumbing by adding a valve that isn't really needed since its a controllable DC return pump.

The only real problem I have is that the return pump gets starved a little while the syphon is stabilizing on restart. This is because the return section is so small, the water level gets every so slightly low. I may raise the baffle in the skimmer section so I can raise the level on the return section too. This would mean I need to build a platform for the skimmer though as it is already in water at its maximum recommended height.

The device on the rear right of the sump (just to the left of the return line in the photo), is a dual float holder. It is part of the sump. It moves up and down about 5" so you can mount a low and high float on it, and set your water level within the 5" range. I currently have a Tunze ATO that came with its own magnetic mount float, so I haven't used that yet. Maybe in the future when I start using my controller for ATO duties this will come in handy.

moondoggy4
04/04/2015, 12:35 PM
You have a well thought out design, looks real good.