PDA

View Full Version : Cycling?

Jjv123
04/04/2015, 08:19 AM
Will a saltwater tank with live sand and dry rock cycle on its own? I think the answer is no. But I ask this because I have been ghost feeding my tank for a week now and I have not seen any change in any parameters. Is this normal? My test kits are api, but I have never not registered ammonia in any fresh water tank I have cycled this way. Also I had my dry rocks cycling in a friends sump for a month prior to putting them in my tank.

SparkyTuna
04/04/2015, 09:53 AM
Im not sure, I used live rock and sand when I started to cycle. I got a ammonia spike by day 2. Was fully cycled in 4 weeks with a massive out break in copepods. I have herd people throwing in one piece of live rock to help get it going.

gone fishin
04/04/2015, 11:16 AM
Will a saltwater tank with live sand and dry rock cycle on its own? I think the answer is no. But I ask this because I have been ghost feeding my tank for a week now and I have not seen any change in any parameters. Is this normal? My test kits are api, but I have never not registered ammonia in any fresh water tank I have cycled this way. Also I had my dry rocks cycling in a friends sump for a month prior to putting them in my tank.

Is the dry rock in question the same rock that you had in the friends sump?

If so you may not see much in the way of a cycle since you effectively cycled the rocks in your friends sump.

Jjv123
04/04/2015, 12:08 PM
Yes those are the same rocks that spent one month in the friends system. So if I keep reading zeros across the board, my cycle may be over?

Martini5788
04/04/2015, 12:11 PM
I would still keep checking parameters for a week or 2 to be sure

Jjv123
04/04/2015, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the input