PDA

View Full Version : Lysiosquillina ID?

Calappidae
04/04/2015, 05:54 PM
I was browsing through google images and stumbled upon this:

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSzgV-GX9rko689Rcd_hc10A0SfZ1pbK1EYTkeWdCl30-GxKH4K

At first I thought it was L. lisa.. but According to roy's listing, they don't have that vibrant yellow/black body color.. Is this a color morph of L. lisa?

EDIT: Accidentally posted in Other invertebrates, PM'd a moderator to removal/relocation. I swear this is the fifth time I've done this..

billsreef
04/04/2015, 07:26 PM
[moved]

:D

Kharn
04/04/2015, 09:52 PM
I dunno what that is but it's interesting.

Can you post a link to the website that you got it from ?

Might be more information on their about location etc.

Calappidae
04/04/2015, 11:02 PM
I dunno what that is but it's interesting.

Can you post a link to the website that you got it from ?

Might be more information on their about location etc.

The only thing I can backtrack to was this: http://www.fotocommunity.de/pc/pc/display/29970584 which unforunately doesn't provide many details.

There's another image posting there with some information. http://www.fotocommunity.de/pc/pc/display/29964368

I can translate this from German:

Mantis shrimp (mantis shrimp), as seen in the flat area in the Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia, January 2013 Camera: DX-1G.

In determining I'm doing me a bit difficult, bet on a kind of Lysiosquillina maculata, which probably are not as reddish else on the legs. However, the animals should be able to vary their colors too, depending on the state of mind. Red is supposed to "risk" are, but asks for whom ...

If my guess is on the way right, this already impressive specimen could still twice as large (up to 40cm).

Mantis shrimps are the perfect predator and have many amazing properties. They have, for example, over a lot of arms and legs - but not any. The two front arms (maxilliped) are huge fishing tools, which the "Speerer" owes its name. Much like the praying mantis cancer carries it usually applied to the front body, from where they can shoot out lightning speed.
The following three pairs serve as tentacles. They are equipped with spines and claws and can hold the prey, impale and lead to the mouth.
In addition, there are 3 pairs of walking legs and 5 pairs of leaf-shaped swimming legs.

Even more unusual is its sensory organs.
The placed on tall bean-shaped handle eye lenses are not only very numerous (10,000) - they can also deliver 3 images simultaneously.
The cancer so it is possible to observe from 6 different perspectives. In addition to 100,000 colors they can perceive ultraviolet light and polarized light. With a cross-belt running over his eyes, the cancer can be a victim "scan" and determine the distance accurately. With a second analyzer then he draws grid lines, as in the crosshairs of a rifle. [Seawater glossary]

The pronounced abdomen, the Mantis shrimp catapulted out of his cave out up to 1m forward with it holds the speed record unbeaten under water up to 23m per second (equivalent to 85 km / h)!

The crabs caught this part of their exoskeleton, tense the muscles strong and then let the tentacles in an explosive movement hasty. A human blink lasts about 40 times longer than this kicking. This beat is thus the fastest in nature. He attained the force of a bullet - and in the water. However, the full force of the cancer develops only with the help of air bubbles. When moving the hammer arms at high speed through the water, they produce a high vacuum. Are formed tiny gas bubbles that implode, releasing extreme energy (cavitation). This creates a bang and sometimes even a flash. The victim is stunned with it. The impact of the hammer legs is hard enough to shatter the bowls or tanks of marine animals.

Doesn't really help...

Kharn
04/05/2015, 12:15 AM
Guess I better tell my fellas to keep an eye out seeing as the water way is on my doorstep :)