PDA

View Full Version : Good diy 45 gallon cube stand blue prints?

Jonathan1992
04/04/2015, 08:39 PM
Does anybody have any simple blue prints for a diy 45 gallon cube stand?

MayoBoy
04/05/2015, 08:21 AM
Just make a box out of 3/4" plywood so it's the same dimensions as your tank. Glue and screw it together. Make the top and bottom 1" bigger than the stand. Glue and screw the bottom and glue the top. You could also put some glue blocks on the inside top/side corners. On the sides, you can countersink the screw heads and then cover them with wood buttons if you're going to stain it. Put a shelf or two in there to 1) have a place to store everything and 2) reinforce the sides.

If you want a door, cut it out leaving at least 4" on each side (same for back if you want it open for cords, etc. If you're going to stain it, edge band the exposed plywood and then stain/seal it. I personally like shellac and have used it on stands that withstood gallons of salt water for 10 years or more. If you're going to paint it, putty everything and then use a quality Interior paint. Exterior paints have mildewcides and other things that will offgas for months.

Depending upon your level of experience and the tools you own, you can embellish it as much as you want. Cut out openings and then replace them and trim it out with panel moulding for a recessed panel look. Or overlay panels and trim around them.

However, my opinion is that the tank is the showpiece and the stand should blend into it or the background. I'm all for just painting it black or the same color as the walls it will be against and let the tank speak for itself.

p.s. Water weighs ~8.5 lbs per gallon so your tank, rock, sand, water, etc. is probably in the 400 lb range. You'll see lots of DIY stand plans with multiple 2x4s, sheathed with multiple layers of plywood - OVERKILL!!! Look at how a kitchen cabinet is made and take your cue from that.

Credentials - no handy pictures of tank stands but here's the last table I made:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Byz_75xIcAEIAPr.jpg

steventaylor702
04/05/2015, 10:28 PM
45 cube with tank rock sand and water will be around 600 lbs+. Salt water is close to 10lbs a gallon and what ever the weight of your rock, sand, tank, lights, sump, and all other equipment 8 would use at least 2x4 to properly support the tank