PDA

View Full Version : Zebra bar Gobie info

Triggerfish
04/04/2015, 10:38 PM
For awhile these fish have been something I would think about adding. Today they were priced right and I got a trio.
Not too many threads on these guys, anyone have some info on them particular behavior. they seem to hover up near surface for the most part. can I expect them to get any lower in the water column or will they for the most part hang way up there...thx

CoralNerd
04/04/2015, 10:44 PM
I'm getting 5 of them on Monday.
How much did you pay?
Description is correct they hang out at the top of the tank. Peaceful, and they will get along with firefish. The more you have of the Zebra the more comfortable they will be. Another guy on the forum just got some but they hide out as he has a sixline wrasse and tangs.

lhm nole
04/04/2015, 10:56 PM
Very peaceful fish can be skittish and will jump out of your tank if not covered.My 4 school together

eatbreakfast
04/05/2015, 05:47 AM
I have 3, they hang out at the top with anthias and other dartfish, though I have a pr of firefish that stay in the bottom half/third of the tank.

Very peaceful, not a picky eater, notorious jumper.

They do great in groups, though this a species of dartfish that isnt as prone to hiding if the group is small, unlike blue gudgeons.

Triggerfish
04/05/2015, 07:22 AM
I paid 12 each. They began eating right away and dont seem shy at all. Hoping they will move about as opposed to just staying up top constantly fighting the current.
Yes I had a pair of gudgeons before and although beautiful, were very shy and only would occasionally come out. I wouldnt try them again.

Spinelessspade
04/05/2015, 07:37 AM
Was thinking of getting 4 or 5 of these, I am now for sure

albano
04/05/2015, 07:43 AM
Very peaceful fish can be skittish and will jump out of your tank if not covered.My 4 school together

+1... I have 5...when 1 gets scared, they all disappear instantly!

MellowReefer
05/28/2015, 09:45 AM
I just want to warn others who may be considering this fish. I have a covered tank, or at least I thought I did. Last night mine jumped out of a gap in my acrylic top no larger than the width of a pencil. Still can't believe it. I thought they jumped randomly when they were startled, not that they aimed for such a small opening to escape. It's literally just barely big enough for him to fit through.

It was such a beautiful fish. Hanging out in the open all day, not too timid (I have mostly small peaceful fish), just overall a really cool fish. Would like to try another but I'm tired of quarantining fish right now.

3dees
05/28/2015, 10:23 AM
I have two plus a scissor tail in my 120 gal. they hang together and share the same bolt hole. mine never stay out for long in my peaceful tank.

CoralNerd
05/28/2015, 10:25 AM
I have two plus a scissor tail in my 120 gal. they hang together and share the same bolt hole. mine never stay out for long in my peaceful tank.
If they don't stay out long then someone is punking them. What fish do you have?

3dees
05/28/2015, 10:32 AM
the only "problem fish" are a sixline and a coral beauty, but I have never seen any aggression. the darts did this long before I added the sixline. they come out, but whenever any other fish come close, they dart into their hole. the scissor tail stays out more than the zebra's.

CoralNerd
05/28/2015, 10:39 AM
Yeah, those two are simi aggressive.

I bought 5 Zebras, and it was too many. They were mature and big. They kept doing a chin barb thing. Anyways my purple firefish never adapted to all the dartfish so I took out 4 of the Zebras. The one I left was the most peaceful and now my purple firefish hangs out all the time same with the Zebra. The 5 I had was a big bio load also as they eat and poop a lot, lol. My next fish to try out will be a McCosker's Flasher Wrasse.