PDA

View Full Version : 5-600$ budget for skimmer on 93g cube, suggestions please?

Hoopz87
04/05/2015, 01:22 AM
So like the title says im in the process of upgrading from my 29 gallon cube to a 93 gallon rimless cube. My two MP40 quiet drives along with my radion Pro arrived the other day, I have a brand new precision marine R-30 sump/refugium, now I just need some suggestions for a skimmer. I almost pulled the trigger on a 6 month old bubble King double cone 150 but on the bubble King website they only suggest it for tanks up to 90 and I want to have something that will EASILY skim a heavy stocked 93. So I've been really liking the reviews and everything about Vertex Omegas, maybe an Aquamaxx, ATB makes good skimmers from what I'm reading but at the higher end of my budget.... Please anyone feel free to steer me in a good direction.

DaveRaz
04/05/2015, 06:46 AM
So like the title says im in the process of upgrading from my 29 gallon cube to a 93 gallon rimless cube. My two MP40 quiet drives along with my radion Pro arrived the other day, I have a brand new precision marine R-30 sump/refugium, now I just need some suggestions for a skimmer. I almost pulled the trigger on a 6 month old bubble King double cone 150 but on the bubble King website they only suggest it for tanks up to 90 and I want to have something that will EASILY skim a heavy stocked 93. So I've been really liking the reviews and everything about Vertex Omegas, maybe an Aquamaxx, ATB makes good skimmers from what I'm reading but at the higher end of my budget.... Please anyone feel free to steer me in a good direction.

I can't speak for other skimmers but my vertex omega 150 was pulling skim mate right out of the box.

dkeller_nc
04/05/2015, 07:09 AM
+1 for the Vertex Omega line. If you want to go over-sized on the skimmer and still keep power draw to a reasonable level, I'd suggest the Vertex Omega 180i for your tank.

On the higher-end of things, the Nyos skimmers look intriguing. There's a video in this link (http://http://www.saltwateraquarium.com/our-brands/nyos/quantum-160-protein-skimmer-nyos.html) that gives an idea of the construction quality. I very much like the use of titanium screws instead of plastic, and the see-through pump volute would allow one to see whether the needle wheel needs cleaning without removing the skimmer and disassembling it.

reefanatik
04/05/2015, 07:20 AM
The only advise I can give u is make sure it is a SSS model. (Super space saver). I have the same sump under a 93 cube and I use a SRO XP2000. It barely fit in the drain section but was in the way of the filter sock and it was a real pain to change out the socks. I ended up cutting out the divider between the drain and refugium section. I can change my filter socks out easily and still have room for my chaeto and carbon reactor in there. If I could do it all over I would have ordered a custom sump. Best of luck. Can't wait to see the outcome. One thing I can say is u have a lot more tanks to look at to help with your build. There weren't many 93 cubes when I started my build.

Hoopz87
04/06/2015, 12:12 AM
The only advise I can give u is make sure it is a SSS model. (Super space saver). I have the same sump under a 93 cube and I use a SRO XP2000. It barely fit in the drain section but was in the way of the filter sock and it was a real pain to change out the socks. I ended up cutting out the divider between the drain and refugium section. I can change my filter socks out easily and still have room for my chaeto and carbon reactor in there. If I could do it all over I would have ordered a custom sump. Best of luck. Can't wait to see the outcome. One thing I can say is u have a lot more tanks to look at to help with your build. There weren't many 93 cubes when I started my build.

Thanks for the input Yeah I'm just realizing the omega height is 22" and my stand height is only 24" Not exactly sure now what to do

Peter Eichler
04/06/2015, 12:41 AM
The nyos Quantum 160 is a little under 21 inches high and I've heard good things so far.

apcoleman
04/06/2015, 04:51 AM
I ran a RLSS R6i on my 93 rimless for a while before I broke it down. Great skimmer and well below your budget

Hoopz87
04/06/2015, 10:45 AM
Ended up going with a bubble King 150 double cone Looks brand new still Only six months old Have receipt Costs 550 shipped Not too shabby :)