PDA

View Full Version : Carbon & GFO reactors for 300 gallon

Reel North
04/05/2015, 07:45 AM
I'm getting my 300 build going and have pretty much all the equipment. Im down to the GFO and carbon reactors. I don't run carbon on my current 150, or GFO for that matter, and would like to have them available and help out my water quality a bit.

I found the BRS jumbo on line. I'd like to try to run the reactor off a manifold from my return pump if possible.

Any suggestions?

Matthias7
04/05/2015, 07:57 AM
I use the nextreef reactors on my 250. Super easy to change the media. You should be to run most of those types of reactors. I use the brs reactor on my other tank and they are easy to manage as well

CuzzA
04/05/2015, 08:34 AM
I can share with you what I'm doing for my 300 build. I'm using 2 modified dual BRS reactors. One for GFO and one for GAC.

The modification is simple. Just take it apart and change the reactor layout so the water feeds from the front and exits from the back. You can add a wye fitting to split the feeds and add another valve to control the flow of both chambers.

The purpose of doing it this way is so I'm not changing all of the media out at once which can shock corals from a drastic drop in phosphates, etc.

For example, I'll start one GAC reactor and then wait 2 weeks and start the other one. Then wait two weeks and swap the original first reactor, then proceed to get in a routine of swapping GAC every two weeks from only one reactor and then two weeks later the other reactor.

slief
04/05/2015, 08:38 AM
I use the BRS Jumbo reactors on my 480g display. One for GFO and one for carbon. They would be perfect for a 300 as well. What I like most about them is that they can be hung with their included brackets and are very easy to maintain.

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/shleif/Tanks/Sump%20rr/reactors5.jpg

Reel North
04/05/2015, 08:51 AM
That's awesome. Thanks guys

Hodge1995
04/05/2015, 09:26 AM
Brs as well here