PDA

View Full Version : Help with a small build.

trixter227
04/05/2015, 07:52 AM
I was planing on buying a IM 10gal nuvo fusion. Just a nano reef with maybe one small fish just to dabble with. But is there any suggestions for somthing around the same price thats better in performance or looks I dont want a biocube. I would like a open top. I do have a couple old tanks laying around. Maybe makeing one but I have no clue on how to do that and dont wanna spend a huge amount of money. Help please?

Pokahpolice
04/05/2015, 08:06 AM
Just buy the Nuvo.

If you want to DIY on the cheap you can get a regular 10G at Petco for $15. Drill it (carefully) with a DIY overflow and another DIY 10G sump and you have a RR tank for about $50 once you get the plumbing done. I built this one super cheap.

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m491/Pokahpolice/Tank%20Build/F04C9345-071D-4F5A-9D32-ED5E93144BDB_zpsu33pcawz.jpg (http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/Pokahpolice/media/Tank%20Build/F04C9345-071D-4F5A-9D32-ED5E93144BDB_zpsu33pcawz.jpg.html)

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m491/Pokahpolice/Tank%20Build/B2E641B5-8610-40B9-9D00-0DFEE510131F_zpsdypflhou.jpg (http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/Pokahpolice/media/Tank%20Build/B2E641B5-8610-40B9-9D00-0DFEE510131F_zpsdypflhou.jpg.html)

trixter227
04/05/2015, 08:11 AM
I would love to DIY the tank im just scared it woult work and im gonna kill everything. Is there any where with step by step in willing to spend like 100-200 I want it to work nicely and be a nano show tank.

trixter227
04/05/2015, 08:14 AM
I have 3 10 gal and a 5 just layign around so I would need plumbing help, you know what goes where lol.

Pokahpolice
04/05/2015, 08:23 AM
Are you brand new to Saltwater? If yes I would steer you clear of a tank this small. The smaller the tank the less forgiving they are. I built this TANK super cheap but the support system isn't something I skimped on. I've been in the hobby for years so had a lot of the equipment laying around. If you're looking to get into this hobby for $100-$200...think again. Test kits alone (which are not optional) will be half your budget.

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m491/Pokahpolice/Tank%20Build/8CE3AA2A-0D1B-47C8-A7CB-D368E2357F7B_zps7cygndng.jpg (http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/Pokahpolice/media/Tank%20Build/8CE3AA2A-0D1B-47C8-A7CB-D368E2357F7B_zps7cygndng.jpg.html)

trixter227
04/05/2015, 08:30 AM
Well I have a 29 bio cube but I would like a small one for my room honestly ill spend however much it takes to get a tank thats great. You know within reasson ofcorse i have the test kits and all. But would love to make a nice small tank. I have patience. And would love a diy.

dkeller_nc
04/05/2015, 08:32 AM
If you're looking to get into this hobby for $100-$200...think again. Test kits alone (which are not optional) will be half your budget.

He's dead right about this. Typically, a functioning reef tank is going to cost you about $50 - $100 per gallon in the less than 50 gallon range.

And he's also right about not starting off with reef aquariums or saltwater in general with a nano tank. Nano tanks are a challenge to even experienced reefers, and from the standpoint of cost, there's little difference between a 10 gallon nano and a 40 gallon breeder; most of the cost will be in equipment, test kits, and an RODI water system.

Given that's the case, you're far better off setting up a 40g breeder, or possibly a 60g rimless cube if you like the rimless look and are space constrained.

trixter227
04/05/2015, 08:37 AM
Thats a bummer i cant really get anything over 10-20 gals so should I just go with the nuvo and add some optionals? Or leave it alone

Pokahpolice
04/05/2015, 08:44 AM
Well I have a 29 bio cube but I would like a small one for my room honestly ill spend however much it takes to get a tank thats great. You know within reasson ofcorse i have the test kits and all. But would love to make a nice small tank. I have patience. And would love a diy.

Do you want to set it up with a sump? If not, some people are having success with canister/hang on back filters...you can remove the media and set up a mini refuge but that's out of my wheelhouse. I've always set up a sump.

CStrickland
04/05/2015, 08:53 AM
Welcome to the forum!
Have you been over here? [nano section] (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=75) there's a sticky in there for diy'ing nano stuff and lots of inspiration tanks. I think you can get better quality components for cheaper if you put it together yourself, but it's nice how the fusion does the thinking for you and tucks it all away behind the overflow. I hate seeing cords and stuff. The lights are important here too, since without room for fish you will prolly want to get into corals pretty quick.

If you skip the sump you don't have plumbing and drilling hassles, but your water volume is less so any changes happen fast. I'd deff get an ato either way.

Like some posters said, when you plan your setup the fusion is just giving you tank, lights, a lid, a filter (not the one I would want), maybe a heater, I don't recall. So you will still need to budget for the rest of the stuff that comes with starting any tank like test kits and rocks and everything.

mpderksen
04/05/2015, 09:17 AM
I'm going to provide my experience as a counterpoint to what's been said above. All due respect, of course. While my 75 is loaded with an Apex, dosers, auto water change, etc., I got started with a 10gallon for the kind of money you want to spend. Here's how I did it:
10 gallon tank
MarineLand HOB filter, the size that takes the "B" sized insets (throw away the spinning bio-wheel)
50w heater
Korilia Nano powerhead (today I would buy a Jeabo RW-4. I have one one my QT now)
Basic test kit and a stick on thermometer
Instant Ocean salt (don't need Reef Crystals) and a small pump for mixing in a 5-gal bucket
2 empty 5 gallon water jugs that I filled for $1 each at a local water store every 3 weeks)
DIY LED fixture (the most expensive part)
A single powers trip apwith a Home Depot timer for the lights
A small bag of dry sand, and a few rocks
That's it.
I read a lot to learn how to properly cycle (I bought only one rock that was live to start the whole thing). My maintenance included cleaning the glass every few days, and topping off with fresh water every evening when I fed the tank. I changed out about 2 gallons each weekend with fresh saltwater. And I do mean EVERY weekend. I tried every other and within a month I had cyano. But went back to weekly and everything was all good again. I ran the tank a few years this way. I had 2 clowns and a shrimp. Corals were mostly Zoa and Ricordia, and other softies that didn't need high light or sensitive to fluctuations.
I think the reason I was successful was because i was diligent about water changes, didn't overstock, kept appropriate corals and above all, was patient. The shot below is from right before I took it down. I had a vicious Aptasia invasion, so upgraded the entire tank.