PDA

View Full Version : Second Floor reef Keeping concerns

rattlermike
04/05/2015, 10:02 AM
I have some questions in need of answers.

Although I've sold thousands of aquariums I can't seem to remember if I ever sold one that went on a second floor.

I am about to move into a condo and want to set up my dream tank. My concern isn't if the floor will hold but more of a concern of possible water damage.

So I have 2 questions.

1 who has a tank on a second floor with people living under them. My tank is 65g with a 20g sump.
2 does anyone know if Renters or HO insurance cover possible damage to the people living below me in a condo.

Thanks in advance.

Hodge1995
04/05/2015, 10:06 AM
I would definitely call my insurance rep on this. I would think they would all be diferent and undoubtedly the facts will be buried in fine print somewhere. I wouldn't bank on anyone on here answering that question reliably.

mcgyvr
04/05/2015, 10:07 AM
#1- There will be NO problems with a tank that small as far as the weight which you already know..
#2- Call your insurance company and ask..its policy specific.. also some rental agreements prohibit fish tanks so check with the landlord too..

Just dont have it leak in the first place.. A proper setup should have zero worries about floods..

billdogg
04/05/2015, 12:58 PM
^^^what they said^^^

There is also a real good chance that the floor is made of concrete. If so, it'll take an epic (think JohnNike) flood to cause problems.

rwb500
04/05/2015, 01:01 PM
60 gallons is obviously not enough to make you worry about the weight (you already know that) but I'm not even sure if it's even enough to make you worry too much about water damage. worst case scenario, you ruin your floor and some drywall below you.

OrQidz
04/06/2015, 12:10 AM
A ruined floor , subfloor, ceiling below you etc aren't that trivial. And having a neighbor who has damages from your tank leaking and has to go through the disruption and hassle of repairs is not going to make your life happy. Make sure it's covered by insurance and the details. Some have weird fine print so be sure of things. Then make a solid system that's built with fail safes in mind. Then you can enjoy your tank. Without worrying about it.

GroktheCube
04/06/2015, 07:49 AM
I'd suggest using PVC shower pan liner in the stand.

My GF and I will be moving into a new apartment in a couple months, and I'll be downsizing my 120 to a Deep Blue 80 frag. I'm building a very oversized stand. Partially to accommodate MH ballasts, external skimmer, apex, skimmate container, and ATO res (living room tank, want it to look pretty), but also so I'll have a 66"x40"x10" waterproof tray made out of PVC showerpan liner under the tank. If a bottom seal busts, the stand will hold the entire water volume of the tank. I'll be 100% worry free. Just something to consider.

rattlermike
04/15/2015, 01:39 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I'm a renter so my rental insurance only covers my personal property, i have reached out to my landlord/friend to see if is HO insurance would cover any possible damage to the household below. I have no worry in the proper plumbing of the system my main concern of fail is the glass or sump its self. I have seen so many over the many years in the industry just fail for no good reason. Although its probally more likely ill get bit by a shark in Utah then have the glass fail. Worst case is I'll set up a 29g bio cube until i purchase my own house in a few years.
I hope it works out im really looking forward to this build.

http://i1063.photobucket.com/albums/t516/rattlermike1/IMG_1063.jpg (http://s1063.photobucket.com/user/rattlermike1/media/IMG_1063.jpg.html)

neuwave
04/16/2015, 12:58 PM
Your renters policy should have liability coverage. Not just your personal property. If your landlord required renters insurance they are concerned it has liability coverage. Normally $100,000 worth of coverage. Basically if you cause any damage to the household or if someone decides to sue you if they injure themselves in your place. Your liability coverage in your policy will cover the damages.

Anyway the weight of a 65g tank with sump will be fine on the second floor.