PDA

View Full Version : Diatoms Again

SpenserJH
04/05/2015, 12:47 PM
Posted this yesterday but didnt have any pictures. Im having a problem with brown diatoms I believe and a little bit of purple slime. I blew off the slime from the rock, however I cannot get rid of this brown crap. Any Suggestions on how I can remove it? I have a tunze 9001 protein skimmer and run my lights normally 10 hours per day.

SpenserJH
04/05/2015, 01:03 PM
bump

\Clownfish/
04/05/2015, 04:50 PM
Could be a nutrient problem. What are your water parameters? How much do you feed?

JammyBirch
04/05/2015, 05:12 PM
How old is the tank? If it's less than a year old get used to diatoms they come and go...I'm battling that again, fourth run at it, my tank was started lat September. Get some cerith snails and dwarf cerith snails they clean them pretty good.

The pics look like algae, I'm with clown fish...nutrients. Do you run GFO? Are you maybe overfeeding? What is your nitrate level?

tkeracer619
04/06/2015, 04:56 PM
^^

For example. I just setup a bta flat 4x4x1'. It is connected to a system with around 1000lbs of live rock and almost un-measurable phosphates/nitrates and no algae issues.

The tank is covered in diatoms anyways. I did make a mistake and didn't clean the polish with vinegar and it's silica based so I figure I fed them. It is common in new tanks as the different algae and bacteria fight for room to grow. Eventually it goes away.

The best course of action is manual removal and check your water source. Often the RO unit isn't up to snuff.

Really need more info regarding water parameters to go any deeper.