PDA

View Full Version : Getting new Tank - Transfer and cleaning questions.

ser_renely
04/05/2015, 03:31 PM
Sort of a dumb questions, but how should I get my new tank ready, how to properly clean etc...?

Any tips on transferring? from one tank to another?

Thanks,
Ser

rwb500
04/05/2015, 04:30 PM
is it a brand new tank? if so, just a rinse with some RO water would be great.

is it bigger than your current tank? What other equipment will you be switching?

sarens
04/05/2015, 05:53 PM
might want to also think about water test prior to filling with evertything

ser_renely
04/05/2015, 07:04 PM
Thanks.

yeah its new and is about the same size as my old tank. 60g cube vice long. It comes plumbed so I won't have to worry too much about that...thank god

I think I will keep all the same stuff, but probably just use the mp10 or 20 on it. I have a Tunze 9010 skimmer...tlf reactors.

Yeah I figured water test would be good :) ...maybe some vinegar for the pumps and hoses.

ser_renely
04/06/2015, 08:10 AM
daytime bump

thegrun
04/06/2015, 08:44 AM
+1, clean the tank with RO/DI water and you should be fine. I like to use a square strainer to capture the fish for tank transfers, it is less likely to injure a fish than a net which can get caught on the fish's fins.

Deep Reef
04/06/2015, 09:54 AM
I always clean with ro and vinegar. Go to dollar store and get some large storage containers you can put all/some you rock, corals and water which you can hold and use in the new tank once it is in place

ser_renely
04/06/2015, 10:04 AM
Thanks.

fishgate
04/06/2015, 10:29 AM
I'm doing a similar thing right now and was planning on matching water parameters and just scooping them from one and dumping in the other. Almost to that point probably this weekend.

d2mini
04/06/2015, 10:53 AM
I'm doing a similar thing right now and was planning on matching water parameters and just scooping them from one and dumping in the other. Almost to that point probably this weekend.

Works great if your new tank is set up in a different spot than the old tank.
A little harder to do if the new tank is going where the current tank is.

But if you do have the luxury of having the new tank set up in a different spot, I'd let it run and cycle for 3-4 weeks with a little bit of rock and sand from the old tank, along with all your new sand. Maybe throw in some bacteria powder too. Even though you may be using all your rock from your old tank, the surfaces of your new tank, plumbing etc are void of all the good stuff that has built up on them. If you are transferring the sump, you can circulate the water within the new tank with powerheads. Just fill it up so the water is below the top of the overflow.