PDA

View Full Version : Question re: Cyanobacteria infested live rock

rush07
04/05/2015, 04:11 PM
A friend of mine is tearing down his tank due to an outbreak of red slime/Cyanobacteria. He offered to give me his 30 lbs. of live rock. The rock was completely covered with red slime. I brought it home and scrubbed it all the best I could and now have it by itself in a 29 gallon tank.

Question is.......Am I risking introducing the red slime into my tank? My plan was to scrub it all off and then "cure" it for a while in a tank with no light. Will this kill it all off? I would rather not boil it or "kill" the rock as under the red slime it is covered nicely with coralline and are really great pieces/shapes. His tank had been running for about 10 years.

Anyway, I certainly do not want to risk an outbreak in my tank. Thoughts?

billdogg
04/05/2015, 04:19 PM
I would rinse it well in used water change water (might as well do something with it before it goes down the drain), and use it. Curing it in a bucket full of saltwater can't hurt. If you are going to boil it, do it outside - it's less likely to hurt you that way, but you might as well just use new dry rock instead.

B.BASH
04/05/2015, 04:56 PM
Put in a tub with sw and treat with chemiclean 48 hrs then wc and treat a second time that should do the trick

rush07
04/05/2015, 06:28 PM
Just googled the Chemiclean. Sounds like a good plan to be safe. Thanks for the replies.