PDA

View Full Version : salt mixing

ChrisCartwright
04/06/2015, 12:28 PM
Hi all I am just setting up my reef tank I have hot 3 barrels full of ro water I have just put a heater in there with a pump the next step would be to add the salt im going for 23-24.
Would it be best to add the salt in each barrel?
Also I would need to get the water from my garage up to my living room which is about 30ft would it be easyer to pump it or put it into 25ltr containers then into my tank?

gone fishin
04/06/2015, 12:45 PM
Salt usually dissolves better in room temperature water IMO, If it is to warm you can get some things to precipitate out. Once it is mixed up then heat it up. Just my 2 cents.

Rob6311
04/06/2015, 12:57 PM
What I normally do is have my RO water in 5 gallon buckets, then I add the salt and put the lids on the buckets and shake them up really good, it doesn't talk long at all and then since they're in 5 gallon buckets they're fairly easy to carry around. And I wouldn't put salt into each bucket just because you should have designated buckets for RO and salt water to try to keep everything as consistent as possible, or that's just what I do

ChrisCartwright
04/06/2015, 01:06 PM
I have got the heater and pumps in the barrels I have got nothing in the tank at the moment I've got my live rock coming Wednesday so I would need the water ready and waiting for then so I'm planning on mixing it tomorrow

smedlin
04/06/2015, 08:01 PM
Am I'm reading it right that your just setting up, yes?

if nothing is in your tank right now.. just go ahead and pump it all into your tank.

With nothing in your tank, who cares what the temp is.

just get it in the tank and turn the pumps on. In the morning, you can do a salinity test to make sure everything is fine. Add more salt (or water) then if you need to...who cares, not going to shock anything.

and I'd much rather pump it into the tank, than carry it.

Neebles
04/06/2015, 08:03 PM
Am I'm reading it right that your just setting up, yes?

if nothing is in your tank right now.. just go ahead and pump it all into your tank.

With nothing in your tank, who cares what the temp is.

just get it in the tank and turn the pumps on. In the morning, you can do a salinity test to make sure everything is fine. Add more salt (or water) then if you need to...who cares, not going to shock anything.

and I'd much rather pump it into the tank, than carry it.

He won't want to do that if he has sand in the tank...