PDA

View Full Version : Unusual BTA Behavior

Principal_P
04/06/2015, 06:22 PM
On March 22nd I did a 25gal water change in my 75gal tank. At that time I actually changed two things. I used RODI water for the first time. Before then I had been using Culligan RO water. The other thing that was different was my new salt. I switched from Coralife to Red Sea Pro. The next day I noticed my BTA seemed to change. I thought it was overall just darker...except at the tips which seemed to retain it's original color. A few days later my BTA would shrivel up each night. Each morning it would perk back up, but as soon it was the dusk setting on my lights, it would shrivel back up. I have since done another 25gal change, and I off course use the RODI for it plus all of my top offs. Everything else is doing well. That's the only thing that's different. Each night the BTA shrivels up, and each morning it seems to bounce back. Any ideas as to what's happening? Do I need to worry?

m0nkie
04/06/2015, 07:55 PM
I'm no expert on this, but maybe it's new salt mix. Every brand is different in ingredients. So your anemone might be getting used to the new water? 1/3 water change is a pretty big change and will change the water chemistry a little. I've heard of stories about people switching salt and killing some corals..

I recently got 2 BTAs and 1 of them did the same thing as you described. looks beautiful and perfect during the day but dead at night. expelling black waste.. I think it was expelling zooxanthellae because it is noticeably duller now.. It lasted for a week and I thought something is wrong. Ended up a starfish died underneath its foot, must have ****ed off the BTA with all that nasty gunk water around. I removed the starfish and it's perfect now.