PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about rebooting my tank

mfaso24
04/06/2015, 06:35 PM
My tank was started in May of 2014 so it's not even a year old. Over the last few months I've been battling dinoflagelettes and while I have it at a manageable level, I would really like to take my rock and sand out and bleach it and start from scratch. I want to do things differently such as drill my tank to have a sump. Right now it's a 50g that is running a hob skimmer and in tank circulation. Corals have not grown quite as I had expected. And recently I've had a few fish deaths presumably from the Dino's. I'm thinking about selling off my coral but I don't know if that's safe (I don't know if it will infect someone else with Dino's) what do you guys think on that?

On another note, it's very possible I may be moving come next winter. Do you guys think I should ride it out until then? Or should I just reboot now and move the tank after its established? This is the main issue that I'm battling with of whether to nuke my rocks and sand and start over now or not.

mfaso24
04/07/2015, 09:57 AM
Anyone? =( need some advice.

PhaneSoul
04/07/2015, 10:07 AM
A reboot isn't going to do much if you don't take care of the nutrient problem that you look like you have. What do you do for maintenance? Dino's, cyano and all that good stuff is impossible to not get. It is that stuff that coral host so to be 100% free of them would mean to not have coral. Of course it's possible to get coral that don't host these guys but instead different organisms but to me that's like gambling.

I would start on a good maintenance routine. Blow off your rocks of detritus, vacuum your sand along with 10% water changes once a week. I have a 55g and it literally takes me less then 10 minutes to blow the rocks off and vacuum the sand. I would do a really good job the first time then each time after that you don't have to worry about being so thourough but also don't neglect different spots for long periods of time. For example maybe you do the right side of the sand one week, left side the next week and the next week you focus on hidden spots or hard to get to spots. It helps to blow off the rocks the night/day before with a turkey baster so all that gunk has either been caught by whatever mechanical filtration you have or settled to the sandbed for removal.

mfaso24
04/07/2015, 02:03 PM
I've always been diligent with my maintenance. I would have to disagree and say not everyone gets algae issues...especially Dino's. And as far as I know, Dino's are not an issue of nutrients.