PDA

View Full Version : First corals purchase - pics - help please!

Jaffy
04/06/2015, 07:49 PM
I have just purchased my first corals and put them in my 13gal. QT with a 425GPH power head. I acclimated, used Revive appropriately, saw some stuff die off. Will be adding to my 215 gal. display with 180pds of live rock soon.

Questions are as follows:
1) How long should I QT for?
2) If any bugs/pests noticed, should I REVIVE again? If so, when?
3) Little bit of hair algae on one frag baserock, toothbrush it off?
4) Is the location ok for now while in the QT? Should any be repositioned, up, down, low, high, etc. The water in QT comes from display, where fish are all healthy and colorful.
5) Please include any information that would be helpful for the final process of acclimating to the main display when time.

Please give any feedback for the photos, they look healthy, so far. THANKS! Display has a LED fixture that really makes colors on the rocks/fish pop, can't wait to add these guys.

Jaffy
04/06/2015, 08:11 PM
Another Question/Questions -

6) Should I start with placing corals at the bottom of the tank - does the same apply to frags in a QT with a cheap LED light? Gradual increase with light/photo period I assume?

7) Any supplemental feeding, etc while in the QT? Suggestions? Different supplemental food for each of these three?

8) My LFS descriptions don't always match up Liveaquaria (my reference for names). Can somebody please define the three so I am sure I know what I have. THANKS!!

I've had my tank run for awhile, I am just a rookie with the Coral thing.

PhaneSoul
04/06/2015, 09:17 PM
1- if your worried about bringing in ich i would follow the 72ish day guideline
2- i would do a dip once a week until moved to display
3- if you have algae growing on the frag plugs then that could show the frag plugs have excess phosphate bound to them. most likely algae will grow on the plugs for awhile, toothbrush it off and you may have to tend to it every few weeks
4- position looks fine but i would ensure that the powerhead isn't pointed straight at the frags, also you say your water comes from DT, is the frag tank plumbed into the display? if so then this is not a QT its a observation tank and any pests that come on the coral could have a chance to infect your DT
5- if your display tank and QT tank have the same parameters i would just stick them straight in, i do this all the time between my 2 tanks will no ill effect. if parameters are off then the normal drip acclimation will do good. if you want to you when it comes time you could remove 1/2 to 3/4ths of the QT water and drip water from the display into the QT until its full then move them.
6- you say cheap led, is it a proper cheap led where all led diodes are at least 3w or more or is it a cheap cheap led set where led diodes are 1w. with 1w you may end up hurting the sps
7-8- i would, the far left im not sure but the mouth indicates meaty foods (bigger the mouth, the bigger the food). don't know about middle, right looks like a montipora spongodes, fine foods like the consistency of sugar. i feed everything in my tank one thing, blender mush. it has big pieces for fish and coral that will eat big foods and fine foods for those that need small particles.

although you may need to wait for them to open or color a little for proper id's, those are just my guesses

Jaffy
04/06/2015, 09:31 PM
I appreciate the help. I am not sure what the middle one is either. I will move them a little from the powerhead. A revive once a week will be fine then - and the water is transferred from the display tabk via bucket - not plumbed together. My rock work and fish alike all have a minimum 30 QT phase and so far have been good and healthy. Will also tend to the algae on the frag. thanks for the help - anybody else with any Id info it would be appreciated! Or any advice at all :-)

julie180
04/07/2015, 04:46 AM
The middle one looks like a candy cane

edog45
04/07/2015, 04:52 AM
You can use a q-tip and 3% hydrogen peroxide, the kind you can buy at the drug store, to kill the algae on the frag plugs. Just apply it straight to the plug or whatever the coral is attached to and let it sit for 20-30 seconds then rinse in a small container of tank water and place back in your QT tank. This will kill all the algae almost instantly and you won't have to scrub it with a tooth brush. You can also make a dip solution by diluting with tank water and dip the entire coral if you want to.
Do a search for hydrogen peroxide coral dip and decide for yourself if is something you want to do.

The coral on the left looks like a Duncan to me. The one in the middle looks like a trumpet. I am not sure about the far right.

PhaneSoul
04/07/2015, 06:17 AM
I don't know about the sps or 'Duncan' in hydrogen peroxide, but I would still suggest tooth brushing the algae off after treatment, killing algae is no good if your not going to remove it from the frag as well and it will probably make it's way back as well if there is enough nutrients bound up in the frag plugs

Jaffy
04/07/2015, 04:00 PM
I agree candy candy/trumpet and duncan. The candy cane has not seemed to open up since the dip. I will try repositioning it.

Jaffy
04/07/2015, 04:03 PM
Should I dip once a week regardless of seeing pests with revive?