PDA

View Full Version : Blue Sympodium Spawning???

Wannabe29
04/07/2015, 09:58 AM
So, I have sympodium in my tank. It's been doing its thing (veeeery slowly) for about two years now. Every now and again, when I look into the tank, I'll see a tiny blue speck floating around in the water column. I didn't think much of them, at first. I figured that they were just random little flecks of blue aquarium gravel that found their way into my system from an old water change bucket. That assumption changed today, when I saw a dozen or so floating around. They're the same color as my sympodium colonies, so I started looking at them. Sure enough, I caught one coming out of one of my colonies. Has anyone else observed this happening with their sympodium? Are these eggs, or are they some type of asexual buds that I should be gathering up and trying to grow? Whatever they are, the fact that it's happening is pretty cool.

Webmanny
04/10/2015, 11:46 AM
This sounds very cool. I have never seen this, but if you have a chance to get it on video, we would love to see this.

Wannabe29
04/10/2015, 03:06 PM
Will do. It's kind of hit or miss (like most spawning events, I guess). I really initially only noticed a random blue speck here and there. Like I said, that one day there were over a dozen. I really had to stare at the sympodium to see one pop out of it. There was a nickel-sized patch of bluish gunk in my filter sock a few days later. Guess that was the end result.....

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk 2

bacon5
04/18/2015, 06:48 PM
Dang very cool! I have been thinking about getting this coral but I did not know they could reproduce like this!