PDA

View Full Version : PVC safe curing

Fish Keeper82
04/07/2015, 01:17 PM
How long should I wait after plumbing my sump to my display to run water thru it so as to not hurt livestock?
used SCHEDULE 40 PVC primer and glue yesterday

woodnaquanut
04/07/2015, 01:43 PM
A couple of hours is plenty.

phobos2deimos
04/07/2015, 01:46 PM
A couple of hours is plenty.

+1, I'll even use after five minutes if it's low pressure.

sleepydoc
04/07/2015, 02:03 PM
The PVC cement generally recommends overnight. The joint is generally strong enough for our purposes long before that, but I can usually smell the cement pretty easily for several hours, and I figure if I can smell it, it will be out-gassing into the water, so I try to wait overnight when I can.

Fish Keeper82
04/07/2015, 02:10 PM
The PVC cement generally recommends overnight. The joint is generally strong enough for our purposes long before that, but I can usually smell the cement pretty easily for several hours, and I figure if I can smell it, it will be out-gassing into the water, so I try to wait overnight when I can.

This is exactly why I asked. I can still smell it a bit but it is very minimal. I figured after a day its probably as good as its going to get. It had been over 7 years since I had plumbed anything for an aquarium couldn't remember how long to wait

bsg
04/07/2015, 11:21 PM
If its done properly and not running on a pressure pump it can be used in as little as ten minutes.

4fishman
04/10/2015, 10:02 AM
Commercial PVC cement takes 24 hours to cure. Although the joint feels secure, and typically is for low pressure applications, a minimum overnight wait is best.

swk
04/10/2015, 01:45 PM
If its done properly and not running on a pressure pump it can be used in as little as ten minutes.

This!

I use the Christys blue hot PVC glue and waited even less than 10 min without issue. Granted this was a dump drain line with zero pressure. Return plumbing I would wait an hour at least.