PDA

View Full Version : stocking for a 160 gallon reef

braidensfish
04/07/2015, 06:40 PM
Hey everyone, very new to this whole forum thing, finally sighned up, im 15 years old and have a massive passion for animals! ESPECIALLY fish, i research 24/7 and have always loved reefs but for the first few years i never went as far as researching because i was under the inpression it was to expensive. anyway ill stop rambling, ATM i have a 3ft 160l freshwater tank with cats and tetras etc, im thinking of saving my money to convert this to a reef! anyway away from that, i eventually want to get a 160 gallon cube, 100x100x60cm
ï know what i want in it, just wanted to know if it is to much?!
Heres what i want

4xCleaner shrimp (2xfire,2xskunk)
2xPeppermint shrimp
5xSexy shrimp (Hosting a mini carpet anemone)
1xWhite spot anemone shrimp (Hosting a Ricordea)
1xPom pom crab
2xPorcelain crab (Hosting a mini carpet anemone)
30xAstrea snails
6xNassarius snails
3xBlenny(Bicolor,Midas,Algae)
4xGoby(Hifin red banded, Yasha, Pinkbar, Yellow watchman.)
1xSpotted mandarin dragonet
5xBluegreen chromis, & 3xBangaii cardinal
2xFirefish goby
2xScissortail dartfish
A Six line wrasse or a Possum wrasse
3xDwarf angels (Bicolor,Lemonpeel,Flameback)
2xTang (Yellow & Tomini)
Question! would i be able to keep six different clowns?

braidensfish
04/07/2015, 09:14 PM
?anyboby??

Daltonbilecki
04/07/2015, 10:09 PM
Hey everyone, very new to this whole forum thing, finally sighned up, im 15 years old and have a massive passion for animals! ESPECIALLY fish, i research 24/7 and have always loved reefs but for the first few years i never went as far as researching because i was under the inpression it was to expensive. anyway ill stop rambling, ATM i have a 3ft 160l freshwater tank with cats and tetras etc, im thinking of saving my money to convert this to a reef! anyway away from that, i eventually want to get a 160 gallon cube, 100x100x60cm
ï know what i want in it, just wanted to know if it is to much?!
Heres what i want

4xCleaner shrimp (2xfire,2xskunk)
2xPeppermint shrimp
5xSexy shrimp (Hosting a mini carpet anemone)
1xPom pom crab
2xPorcelain crab (Hosting a mini carpet anemone)
30xAstrea snails
6xNassarius snails
3xBlenny(Bicolor,Midas,Algae)
4xGoby(Hifin red banded, Yasha, Pinkbar, Yellow watchman.)
1xSpotted mandarin dragonet
5xBluegreen chromis, & 3xBangaii cardinal
2xFirefish goby
2xScissortail dartfish
3xDwarf angels (Bicolor,Lemonpeel,Flameback)
2xTang (Yellow & Tomini)
Question! would i be able to keep six different clowns?

I would say too much of everything. First off, all the shrimps would probably fight to the death with only one or two cleaners left. I would have only one or two types of blennies, one dartfish unless you have a mated pair, on wrasse, one small tang (even that is iffy), and one dwarf angel. Clowns would become aggressive as adults same goes for all damsels. Hope this helps

braidensfish
04/08/2015, 02:43 AM
i srsly cant believe only one person has replied :/
grr

braidensfish
04/08/2015, 02:46 AM
What could i have in a 45 gallon??

julie180
04/08/2015, 03:12 AM
You will probably get more reply's if you ask about what you are thinking for your 45 gallon instead of an open ended question like what you can have.

What is on your wish list for it?

toothybugs
04/08/2015, 06:05 AM
I agree with the above, and will add:

- a sixline wrasse and a mandarin are NOT going to work out. The wrasse will sorely outcompete the mandy for food and starve it.

- I'd get rid of the chromis entirely.

- you may have an issue with 2 firefish in that tank. That cube, while voluminous, doesn't offer much distance and they can get cranky with each other if several are packed in an area.

- if you do a reef and corals, be careful with the dwarf angels. Also, getting back to the tank size, you can have war between the conspecifics. I would say go with a coral beauty and be done with it.

- and personally, I wouldn't put any tangs in a tank that small, regardless of how small the fish are when you get them. They will grow and contrary to pet store beliefs, the tank size won't limit how big they get. They'll just get cranky in a short, small tank, especially one that is FULL of fish and livestock.

Deep Reef
04/08/2015, 06:16 AM
go to the 'New to the Hobby forum. there is a thread there where you post you intended fish purchases and they are responded to by Snorvich. very good advice.

kendrid
04/08/2015, 07:43 AM
Cubes look cool but they don't provide a lot of space to keep fish apart from each other.
Possum wrasses are awesome - I highly recommend getting one.
26 fish is way overstocked. Reduce the number of gobies, blennies, angels and shrimp to one from each group. Maybe a Tomini tang would work but most others are much too large.

1xCleaner shrimp
1xPeppermint shrimp
1xSexy shrimp (Hosting a mini carpet anemone)
1xPom pom crab
1xPorcelain crab (Hosting a mini carpet anemone)
30xAstrea snails
6xNassarius snails
1xBlenny
1xGoby
1xSpotted mandarin dragonet (added a year later)
1xBangaii cardinal
1xFirefish goby
2xScissortail dartfish
1xDwarf angel
1xTang (Tomini)

i was under the inpression it was to expensive
It IS expensive. Even with cheap equipment (Jebao, etc) it is expensive. There are a lot of things you need you don't realize when you first start out.

braidensfish
04/08/2015, 05:49 PM
Out of what i listed above, for the fish i want in the cube, what outta that would i be able to have in a 45 gallon reef?