PDA

View Full Version : Vermatid snails

Reel North
04/07/2015, 09:12 PM
I've got a bit of a problem with vermatid snails. I've been using nitrate cubes, and it seems that the " mulm" that comes off it making my water full of particulate and now these dang snails are dropping webs all over. I took the cubes offline and the water cleared up in 30 minutes.

I'm doing an upgrade and want to cook these rocks as well and kill these off. I'll be cycling the new tank anyway, and can fish less cycle the rocks before I put them in the tank.

I guess I just want a totally fresh start for the new system.

Will cooking the rock get rid of them? Or am I better just to use vinegar or fresh water to kill everything. ITs been in my tank for a bit over a year, so I'll likely cook it to pull any phosphate or nitrate out but levels are currently 10 and .03. Or just fresh water dip the rocks and cycle them?

cakemanPA
04/08/2015, 04:27 AM
DO NOT COOK ROCK! If you are talking about boiling the rock. Very very bad things can happen.

Reel North
04/08/2015, 05:52 AM
Not boiling. I'm talking about lights out, covered container, heater and power head.

fishgate
04/08/2015, 06:57 AM
I wouldn't spend a lot of time trying to get rid of Vermatid snails. They will come back, and they will increase as long as they have what they need to thrive. Address those and they will reduce. Cooking your rock should get rid of them though.

Potsy
04/08/2015, 07:23 AM
Their population will wax and wane. I had a tank that was infested with them and after their numbers peaked they died back to extinction.