PDA

View Full Version : Kinda mad

deagan14
04/08/2015, 03:54 AM
Just leaving Maui today, overall it was a great trip. But I'm fairly mad after doing a few tours with the pacific whale foundation, going to the aquarium, and just the locals, how anti aquarium they are. They make us sound bad, saying we are killing the reefs and that yellow tangs will live under a year in an aquarium and all this made up BS

Dkuhlmann
04/08/2015, 04:16 AM
Haters are gonna hate. Ignorance is bliss.

I guess it's up to us to educate them to the contrary, but you will never convince someone that thinks otherwise. This all holds true for most anything that involves any living creature.

toothybugs
04/08/2015, 06:08 AM
It doesn't help any either when you have irresponsible reefkeepers having the "I paid for it and I like it so if it dies I'll just buy another" mentality. If they knew we cared, it might be different. But there is too much demand for instant, pay-your-way gratification in the world (and this hobby) today.

Mark9
04/08/2015, 06:14 AM
They make us sound bad, saying we are killing the reefs ...

Are you saying this is a false statement?

Spectral_Ranger
04/08/2015, 06:20 AM
Unfortunately, I believe the people on this board (and others like it) comprise a small fraction of all aquarium keepers, and that most get their advice from LFS or wherever else. They go through livestock like crazy until they get too frustrated and quit. I can't blame the haters for hating when the majority of livestock taken from the ocean will be dead in less than a year, and probably much less. I'm sure they'd be happy to see small part of the community that does a great job at caring for their animals, but in the big picture, it doesn't make much of a difference to them.

BrandonFlorida
04/08/2015, 07:05 AM
Are you saying this is a false statement?

Right, Id say its dead on and its not even just us taking fish and coral home, its everything else we do too, Oil, trash, etc..

I care for every animal that I have ever had, and seeing something die makes me feel horrible. Its gonna happen and I take responsibility for that. We all do the best we can but sometimes that not enough... and some people are just horrible people and don't give a

Its just like the news anymore, all you hear is bad this and bad that, and Im sure that what all the locals focus on.

ryeguyy84
04/08/2015, 07:21 AM
with "rising ocean temps" are we not just holding some of the ocean for future restocking?

as long as we are responsible we're technically just the oceans frag tank. That is until the government outlaws reef tanks and we all have to trade frags on the black market.

so did you go diving? it's beautiful out there.

brianr24
04/08/2015, 10:58 AM
Hawaiians will hate on outsiders every chance they get.island are beautiful.personalities not so much. U should have told them Jersey is going to start shipping garbage there next.

Chevrefils
04/08/2015, 11:49 AM
Hawaiians will hate on outsiders every chance they get.island are beautiful.personalities not so much. U should have told them Jersey is going to start shipping garbage there next.

To be honest we should respect their mentality. People who share those thoughts simply want to preserve nature. Proper and sustainable reef keeping has been done and forums like this help millions of people enjoy this hobby. But in the end we are taking millions of animals out of nature which is already strained on the brink, for mostly our own selfishness. Now we are in the position to give back and help build what was lost, not only with rebuilding reefs but also educating others on how important and fragile these ecosystems are. The human impact is very evident in what were once very remote areas. :(

username in use
04/08/2015, 12:33 PM
with "rising ocean temps" are we not just holding some of the ocean for future restocking?

as long as we are responsible we're technically just the oceans frag tank. That is until the government outlaws reef tanks and we all have to trade frags on the black market.

so did you go diving? it's beautiful out there.

Not even a little. Unless you have a perfectly documented biotope (meaning every single thing in your tank came from the same area with zero chance of ANYTHING from any other area getting in) then your tank is useless with regards to repopulating the natural reefs. Introducing species from other regions is just as big a problem as the reefs dying in the first place.

Look at how terrible the Lionfish invasion of the Caribbean has been. That same issue can be carried down all the way to bacteria.

gone fishin
04/08/2015, 02:03 PM
A poor joke.

But anyway It is hard to change any groups mind when they are at opposite ends of the issue.

FWIW the reefs have been around for millions of years most likely. I am sure they will be around in some form for many more years.

BrianD
04/08/2015, 02:14 PM
Just leaving Maui today, overall it was a great trip. But I'm fairly mad after doing a few tours with the pacific whale foundation, going to the aquarium, and just the locals, how anti aquarium they are. They make us sound bad, saying we are killing the reefs and that yellow tangs will live under a year in an aquarium and all this made up BS

It never hurts to have an open mind and listen to their point of view.

BrandonFlorida
04/08/2015, 02:15 PM
Removed. I would modify the attitude. We are a family friendly forum. If you are unable to express yourself without profanity, it is best you refrain from posting. BrianD

coralsnaked
04/08/2015, 02:19 PM
They must be jealous of our little slices of blue water

Chevrefils
04/08/2015, 02:33 PM
Living in a tourist area can be hard for locals. Sometimes it may seem like those who are just visiting don't respect the land or local people or just leave a mess. Not to mention natives all around have lost their way of life to modern culture. Not that everyones like that or even the majority but a few bad apples can definitely leave a lasting impression on others. Just trying to think of the other perspective. Either way its a beautiful place!

Phildirt
04/08/2015, 09:47 PM
Did they call you a howlie too?

MythicalReef
04/09/2015, 04:37 PM
The earth and all its inhabitants were given to us... humans. The extremely special creatures God created in his own image were given dominion of this planet without repentance. We have the power to interact and manage all animals above and below sea level... and we have done this extensively throughout our existence.

What does this mean?

Simply put it means we not only look like our Father but should act like Him too. We are stewards of these creatures and interacting with them is as natural as them interacting with each other but with us having the responsibility and the aforementioned stewardship.

Replicating and maintaining an environment for creatures we normally would never get to see is no small feat and is a testament to the dominion God gave us. Its not something we should take for granted but unfortunately most of us do.

So in conclusion the Hawaiian locals AND us reefkeepers are right. We believe we have the right to interact with the reefs and the creatures therein and we are correct, however we also have the responsibility of stewardship and preservation. I'm pretty sure we can find the balance. =)

God Himself called us gods of this planet. We just need to act like it.

nuxx
04/09/2015, 04:38 PM

Yeap...

We went to Maui in December and told people about Coral Imports. Stopped doing it after about the 3rd person...

Heard the same from a few people in the business who have been to Hawaii. One person I spoke to about it said in Oahu he was having a great conversation with a host at a restaurant until she asked him what he did. Needless to say that was that. Also one of the nicest guys you'd meet...

tkeracer619
04/09/2015, 06:31 PM
When you go to the islands you need to leave the rest of your normal life behind and be full of aloha.

Maybe as mainlanders we should respect their opinions and try to understand why instead of getting offended. Those of us on this forum do not really represent the whole of fish keepers. Most people who keep fish see them as decorations, not pets.

I am open to people about my hobbies and have always been welcome around my peers regardless.

Glad overall your trip was good.

If anyone is curious how not to stand out so bad go lay in a tanning bed for a couple weeks before hand. You won't burn once you get on vacation either. Those who don't know me there mistake me for a local all the time ;).

kkittredge
04/09/2015, 07:26 PM
Definitely not a black and white topic. The sport fishing industry also leads to the loss of fish and plenty of locals support/participate in that. I also get that they do need to protect their beautiful resource so I get why they are sensitive.