PDA

View Full Version : fish stocking suggestions - self supporting system

jacksonpt
04/08/2015, 11:39 AM
I'm looking for some suggestions. I have a 38g tank with a 20g sump (most of which is fuge), total volume in the 45-50g range. No simmer, water changes about 2x month. I do run carbon and GFO.

Feeding my tank causes nothing but problems, so I only do it about twice a month. I'm looking for fish (or any critter, really) that will help establish a reasonably self-supported system. That means critters that feed on things already in the tank.

I've had great luck in the past with things like wrasses, hogfish, and dragonetes that feed on pods. I've also had good luck with maroon clowns that feed on almost anything. But animals that need constant feeding always end up starving, and obviously I don't want that.

So... suggestions on ways to establish a self-supported system? Or at least as self supported as can be reasonable expected from a home aquarium? If nothing else, maybe this will spark some interesting conversation.

TIA.

Wannabe29
04/08/2015, 03:36 PM
I went through a phase of "I don't even want to look at my tank" after making a huge mistake with my refractometer which almost killed all of my corals. I lost several corals and didn't do anything with the tank for several months. During this time, the only fish that looked like they didn't miss a meal were my cherub angel and my yellow watchman goby. My ocellaris clown survived the neglect, as well, although he got really skinny. Every now and then I would notice how skinny he got and feed the tank a little. Not a lot, at all really, and definitely not on anything approaching a regular basis. I'm not proud of it but, those fish survived that period of extreme neglect. I'm guessing they would do well under the type of management you're looking to enact. I would definitely recommend feeding at least once a week to avoid the emaciated fish look.

hobbzz
04/08/2015, 05:36 PM
I would definitely suggest not starving fish just so you don't have to feed. A system that size will not be able to support any fish without feeding them. Mandarins need at least 75-80 pounds of established live rock...just for one. Wrasses need a lot more food than a tank can provide. Why don't you look at getting a skimmer so you can feed daily?

CHSUB
04/08/2015, 06:18 PM
i don't think he is talking about neglect, but animals that can survive without regular food additions...and i really can't think of any in such a small system. i read about a large outdoor pool that was filled with fish that went weeks without food, but i think it's gone now.

hobbzz
04/08/2015, 07:51 PM
Yes he said he doesn't want any more fish to stare to death. Which is why I suggested adding the skimmer. Because like you, I don't think it will be able to sustain any fish without feeding.

jacksonpt
04/09/2015, 07:17 AM
I've had a skimmer in the past, still have it actually, just not running it. It makes no noticeable difference. The pros and cons to skimming balance each other out in a small, understocked system, so the "need" to run one isn't there as it may be with other systems.

My maroon clown was fat and happy for 3+ years, my mystery wrasse for almost a year. Neither starved. I am not new to the hobby. The concern for the livestock is noted.