PDA

View Full Version : clamp-on metal halides cracking tanks?

Moonstream
04/08/2015, 11:44 AM
I had one running on my 40g reef before I took it down because I was going to college. gave my father specific instructions not to sell it, turns out he gave it away anyways. you can imagine I was not happy.

anyways, now I need to buy a new light since I'm setting this tank back up. I had the clamp on viper unit with fan and I was pleased with it, but now I'm a little worried about it cracking my tank.

I love the MH shimmer effect so I'd like to get another MH; I'm not comfortable with retro-fitting and LED fixtures are too expensive for my taste. plans are to sell this tank off in a year so I dont want to sink too much money into equipment.

I was going to get the viper light again unless anyone has any other suggestions for under $250. I can't hang a pendent light, so those are not an option. thoughts?

username in use
04/08/2015, 12:38 PM
Why can't you hang a pendant? There may be a workaround to whatever is holding it up.

Moonstream
04/08/2015, 01:16 PM
There's no way to hang it from the ceiling and the stand is an iron stand so there's not really a place to attach a rail (bent metal rods attached to the back of a stand seem to be the way peoe hand pendants from what I can tell). Also, the actual hard where/heavy lifting is going to be done by my father for a few months; I broke my arm badly and am just about to get our of the sling into physical therapy. He's always been against DIY stuff and I doubt he'd agree to help on this. If I had use if my right arm I might be willing to try it

username in use
04/08/2015, 01:41 PM
You can bolt to the wall behind the tank with brackets. You can build a rail that rests on top of the tank forming an arch to hang it from. You can build some legs for it. There are a lot of ways to get a pendant on there without bolting to the stand or hanging from the ceiling.

Moonstream
04/08/2015, 03:51 PM
I'm thinking I might just run a 4 bulb T5. I did love the shimmer of metal halides but I'm thinking I might prefer the sleeker look of a fixture that mounts right on the tank; it's going to be in my bedroom and I wouldnt mine have less spillover, which with a metal halide unit seems inevitable (my last tank had tons of spillover). it would be nice to be able to lay in bed without the tank lighting lighting up the room like a spotlight. also would cut down on the worry of heat from the light.

I've had Nova Extremes on all my tanks before I setup my old 40g and I do really like the look of the fixtures.

cleverbs
04/08/2015, 04:22 PM
Run a 6bulb t5 fixture. ATI Sunpower!