PDA

View Full Version : 1st week using kalkwasser and I think I'm doing it wrong?

TangingOut
04/08/2015, 01:35 PM
First, here's my system. It's a 110 mixed reef with a 30 sump which I estimate to be about 100gal total volume. I would consider most stony corals to be either a large frag or a small colony.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t212/whitegdb/20150404_145147_Burst02.jpg

I do a 20gal water change twice a month and test alk/cal/mag before and 1 day after. I was using baking soda in my ATO to keep alk around 8.5, but recently had calcium drop to 400 before the latest WC. I did a larger WC and got it up to 450 and decided to start using Mrs Wages pickling lime and stopped the baking soda.

Parameters before were 9 alk, 450 cal, 1380 mag. After 1 week, they're 11.2 alk, 450 cal, 1340 mag. I mixed 2 Tbsp(6 tsp) into a 5gal bucket for my ato. I lose about 1.5gal/day. Also mag has been steadily dropping with each WC and I may have to start adding some?

My obvious concern is the alk level and not so obvious is all the white spots showing up on my pumps/heaters/etc. in the sump. I have the ato pickup well off the bottom and mix kalk in a separate bucket 8 hrs prior to swapping. I just changed out the ato for straight rodi prior to posting this to allow alk to slowing come down. I was just afraid it would just keep on rising.

So any and all comments/suggestions are welcome. Start again once all parameters are where I want them and use a lot less pickling lime?

acrohead500ppm
04/08/2015, 01:38 PM
What kind of ATO are you using? how much is it adding at a time?

TangingOut
04/08/2015, 01:48 PM
It's a DIY with float switches and an aqua lifter pump. I would say it's adding a cup at a time, maybe less. I've looked into my sump on many occasions and have noticed the ato turn on, but never very long.

cleverbs
04/08/2015, 01:55 PM
Also do you have a Powerhead in your ATO bucket mixing that kalk? if not you want to add that.

cmcoker
04/08/2015, 02:13 PM
I had my ATO on a timer to run one minute every 30min on my 55 with no sump, also used a aqualifter. One min was about a 1/4 cup. Just upgraded to a 120 with sump, so will have to tinker with it myself. I would recommend running the aqualifter for one minute, measuring the amount it puts out, then figure out how much it is putting in at a time. I would think it is more than a cup of evaporation in the sump to trigger the ATO. Maybe remove water from sump a cup at a time until it triggers the ATO to calculate that volume. Randy has the max amount of kalk to add at a time in one of his articles.. But that has to do with pH swings..

That being said if it is pushing your levels too high, maybe use less kalk in your bucket. I would half the amount of kalk per bucket and monitor levels.

RocketEngineer
04/08/2015, 02:20 PM
Also do you have a Powerhead in your ATO bucket mixing that kalk? if not you want to add that.

Actually, you don't. Mix the kalk ONCE and then leave it alone. Constantly mixing it allows CO2 to react with the calcium forming calcium carbonate aka limestone which won't dissolve. Mixing it in a separate container should just involve a piece of PVC to mix the powder into the water column and then let the undissolved portions settle out before using the clear liquid in the ATO.

OP: It looks like your tank isn't using as much as you are adding into the tank. Cut back the amount of powder you add to the ATO container until growth starts increasing. I don't see huge SPS/LPS corals in your tank so you may not have much demand yet. Keep an eye on it and adjust as things start growing out and using more.

TangingOut
04/08/2015, 02:38 PM
I had my ATO on a timer to run one minute every 30min on my 55 with no sump, also used a aqualifter. One min was about a 1/4 cup. Just upgraded to a 120 with sump, so will have to tinker with it myself. I would recommend running the aqualifter for one minute, measuring the amount it puts out, then figure out how much it is putting in at a time. I would think it is more than a cup of evaporation in the sump to trigger the ATO. Maybe remove water from sump a cup at a time until it triggers the ATO to calculate that volume. Randy has the max amount of kalk to add at a time in one of his articles.. But that has to do with pH swings..

That being said if it is pushing your levels too high, maybe use less kalk in your bucket. I would half the amount of kalk per bucket and monitor levels.

I just used a turkey baster to remove water from my sump to trigger the ato and twice it was under a cup. There actually isn't very much surface area in the sump with my skimmer, heaters, and pumps in there.

TangingOut
04/08/2015, 02:48 PM
I guess I just got too ambitious with the amount of corals I've added. Was hoping to get by on just water changes. Nope, first baking soda, now kalk that I haven't dialed in, and it looks like magnesium may have to be added as well.

Thanks everyone for your input so far, any more is welcomed/appreciated.