PDA

View Full Version : Quarantine several small fish at one time

design1stcode2n
04/08/2015, 02:23 PM
I'm thinking of ordering my fish/inverts for my tank but it only makes financial sense if I get several at one time.

Is there any issue with putting 3-4 fish around one inch long in a 10g quarantine?

Since they are coming from the same location my assumption is if they "have anything" they wold all have it anyway so would be treated together.

gofor100
04/08/2015, 02:46 PM
Honestly, you might be pushing it with 4 fish in a 10g quarantine (the big question being "what type of fish are these 4 fish?"). As you probably already know, the main reasons of quarantining are to:

> Identify/treat diseases: which, what you say makes sense, since if they are all coming from the same tank/source, then presumably they would all be exposed to the same thing already. So I don't really feel this is the issue that you would contend with.

> Provide little to no stress environment in order to acclimate to captivity: a big reason to QT is to get the fish eating and acclimated to captivity. With 4 fish in a 10g, this might be difficult depending on the type of fish (regardless of size). If I were you, I would just get another 10g QT setup, and split up the fish into 2 per tank if you really need to get multiples at a time.

But this all leads me to ask how big your DT is. Since adding 4 fish to a tank can be a drop in the bucket (if your tank is large and established), or it can add unnecessary stress to your tank (if your tank is not large and in its beginning stages).

Just my two cents...

-Chad

Sk8r
04/08/2015, 03:17 PM
What species? That's a huge question. Most oceanic fishes are used to far more room than a 10. And these are wild-caught.

design1stcode2n
04/08/2015, 05:09 PM
I was thinking of:
2x Ocellaris Clownfish 0.75"-1"
1x Royal Gramma 0.75"-1.5"

I wanted a Rainford's Goby but I've decided that is not a good option as I think they need sand or at the very least a tank with a fair amount of algae. Although that begs the question how do you QT one for 8 weeks? No algae in QT.

DT is a 29g. currently processing 2-4ppm of ammonia daily.

While I could set up another QT its not worth it to save a few dollars, I would just source locally then.

Do you need to QT shrimp and snails for 8 weeks like you do fish?

julie180
04/08/2015, 10:38 PM
Inverts can bring in ich also. Some QT, other dont. One thing you can not do is QT them with fish. They will need their own tank.

Sk8r
04/08/2015, 10:55 PM
The two clowns will be ok together. the gramma, not so much: they're secretive, hide a lot, and the clowns will be high drama together as they undergo the mating squabble.

Re inverts---some should be put in a tank and observed closely for several days, and before putting them in there, I'd rinse them off in discard tank water, to be sure no bag water enters that observation tank. We're speaking of mobile inverts. Inverts like corals need a dip before going to observation: snails and crabs do not get dipped, because the dip would kill them.

It is impossible for ich to host on inverts. Has to be fish. But they're microscopic and can be in water droplets.

julie180
04/09/2015, 04:33 AM
Ich on inverts is not possible, but it is possible for the cysts to attach to them. That is why some people QT them for a full 72 days.

design1stcode2n
04/09/2015, 08:18 AM
That is why some people QT them for a full 72 days.

I'll just have to do the inverts first then, not doing 72 days though, more like 7-14.

Any issue with 2x sexy anemone shrimp, 1x scarlet cleaner shrimp, 3-5 red leg hermits and some cerith snails being together?

Do most proactively treat with Prazipro or similar during QT (this would be for fish)?

I know some do the TTM but I won't be at this time.

Would a Royal Gramma and a Banggai Cardinal be OK in a 10g?

BlackTip
04/09/2015, 08:35 AM
How invertebrate can be successfully quarantined for 72 days? Many of them needs sand and rocks. QT tank are bare bottom and has no rocks. Another issue is how and what to feed them for 72 days with minimum filtration in the QT tank.

If Ich can be in as little as a single water droplet, is it really possible to keep a tank ich free for long period. This is like trying to clear the air from every single speck of dust, while opening a window once in a while.

Spar
04/09/2015, 08:52 AM
How invertebrate can be successfully quarantined for 72 days? Many of them needs sand and rocks. QT tank are bare bottom and has no rocks. Another issue is how and what to feed them for 72 days with minimum filtration in the QT tank.

If Ich can be in as little as a single water droplet, is it really possible to keep a tank ich free for long period. This is like trying to clear the air from every single speck of dust, while opening a window once in a while.

there is no problem with having rocks and sand in an invert/coral QT. i dont personally have sand, but that is just preference on my part, not mandatory. i just keep the tank running 24/7/365 even when nothing is being QT'ed in it.

HOB filter, or even just a MJ600/1200 for flow works just fine. Cycle it as you would a normal tank.

as long as you fallow treat non-fish (anything wet) for 72+ days, and TTM/Copper treat all your fish, yes it is very doable to keep your tank ich-free forever (which equates to a very long time :) ). you just have to be very strict with yourself to never give-in to an impulse buy that you decide not to QT.

As for feeding - feed them what you normally would feed them - fish food, algae wafers, etc

BlackTip
04/09/2015, 09:15 AM
#Spar

That should work if one have QT dedicated for invertebrate.

Is there any other way to clean invertebrate like fresh water path or a dip? Yes, I am looking for a shortcut.

I am starting a 325g tank. My plan is to add 10 snails, then 2-3 fishes a week later. And then repeat until my tank is stocked. I am planning to have one QT tank. It is space issue. With 72 days for invertebrates and 72 days for fish, and 72 days for corals, it should take me about 10 years to stock the tank.

design1stcode2n
04/09/2015, 09:31 AM
While that seems like a very good solution you can see how it would be difficult for many. You need 3-4 tanks (display, QT1 for inverts only and 2x tanks for fish only because copper has been used (TTM)).

Coral tank needs reef capable lighting in addition to heater, flow, thermometer; fish QT needs the same except no reef capable light. Also what about skimming, 2x skimmers that can only be used for QT purposes?

I understand its a very good solution and if you have the space and money then by all means.

I personally won't even have a skimmer until June or July (although at this point they won't be out of QT until then anyway). A reef capable light with appropriate dosing and test kits are another year out.

design1stcode2n
04/09/2015, 01:13 PM
Alright so I've decided to attempt the TTM method and will use two 14g Sterilite containers. I'll have a heater and HOB filter which I'm currently using on my empty QT tank.

My question is if I pick up the fish tonight (I already have aged and heated SW in my SW container as well as my empty QT tank) is this considered day 1? So then I'd transfer them the morning of 12th?

They will be in the basement with no light anyway except for what decide to give them (no windows or exterior doors).

mitchrapp
04/09/2015, 01:25 PM
Alright so I've decided to attempt the TTM method and will use two 14g Sterilite containers. I'll have a heater and HOB filter which I'm currently using on my empty QT tank.

My question is if I pick up the fish tonight (I already have aged and heated SW in my SW container as well as my empty QT tank) is this considered day 1? So then I'd transfer them the morning of 12th?

Yes and yes.

gone fishin
04/09/2015, 01:26 PM
Go by hours not days. You want to do the transfer prior to 72 hours.

design1stcode2n
04/09/2015, 01:37 PM
Go by hours not days. You want to do the transfer prior to 72 hours.

So if that is the case they would be in the container we will say at 8:00pm tonight then I would swap them at say 6:00pm Sunday the 12th, 15th, 18th and 21st?

I could do a lights out or cover the container at 1:00pm Sunday or whatever time you would think to simulate nighttime if that is needed.

gone fishin
04/09/2015, 01:42 PM
Yes that would be correct for the time. I usually just use the ambient light in my fish room during TT. I think the muted light helps to keep them calmer, no proof just my observations.

forgot to mention if possible have your water already made up for the TT. This way it stays consistent from transfer to transfer and I find it just makes my life easier.

design1stcode2n
04/09/2015, 08:18 PM
What an evening...I filled one of the sterilite containers and went to transfer the new HOB filter I had on the QT tank only to find it had been leaking. Tried another filter I had that was the same design and same issue (they were cheap).

I had to grab the HOB on the DT, leaving the ceramic media that was in it in the DT.

The QT had to be drained and the mess cleaned up while the fish acclimated. Then I left the Mysis pack out and it thawed (hope I can still use that). Fed them some flake and mysis and they ate and seem fine.

Now on to my question, I had planned on having a filter for each container and now I don't have one. I can buy a new HOB (brand that I have used before and trust) or I could just get another power head. Power head would be more money but may be more useful later on.

Is a HOB better or is a PH better? Or does it matter?