PDA

View Full Version : Pond foam adhering directly to glass?

mmittlesteadt
04/08/2015, 03:43 PM
I love DIY projects and I am a DIYer all the way. I have read so-o-o many threads and google searches on black pond foam that it makes my head hurt.

And once again, like most all DIY projects where you aren't buying products made specifically for reefs, there is NEVER a general consensus, no true evidence and just generally a lot of anecdotal evidence, suggestions, warnings, words of caution, and glorious tales of success. Hard to know who to believe.

So, having said that I'm wanting to cover my corner overflow with ledges and make a small, thinner ledge that arches over to the other corner that will also partially cover my return bulkhead. I'm think of using the black pond foam directly on the glass itself.

Does the black pond foam adhere well to glass and stay adhered over the long haul submerged in saltwater? And does it stay put, is it still considered reef safe, etc.?

And yes, I have read probably every single thread posted here on RC (at least every post of every thread that came up under the search term "pond foam").

Thoughts?

Gorgok
04/08/2015, 04:27 PM
It might stick for a while, but remember its foam, full of air. Once it does start letting go, it will go the rest of the way really quick and shoot up out of the water.

mmittlesteadt
04/08/2015, 06:11 PM
It might stick for a while, but remember its foam, full of air. Once it does start letting go, it will go the rest of the way really quick and shoot up out of the water.

And then there were many who said it stayed stuck to the glass.

Did you personally have any issues with it coming loose? By that I don't mean if you had siliconed a rock wall to the glass, but actually used the foam directly on the glass itself.

Gorgok
04/08/2015, 07:49 PM
I haven't used it directly on glass, no. I had it on eggcrate sheets, siliconed and physically sized to be unable to move because of the trim.

I just fear it shooting up, and the unknown of the stickiness of foam to glass compared to the known value of silicone to glass adds to that.

If the foam cant do damage coming up, then i suppose it doesn't much matter, big panels with studded rocks can do plenty of damage though, hitting other things or the tank itself.