PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer options?

DrAsTiC
04/08/2015, 04:18 PM
Hello everyone,
I am in the process of getting everything together for a 210 gallon build. I am not sure what skimmer to get. Anyone have hands on experience with these skimmers?

Skimz Monzter SM203
Bubble Magus Curve 9
Nyos Quantum 160

gregr
04/10/2015, 08:47 AM
Since you're looking in the same price range I highly recommend the new MTC skimmer (http://www.marinetechnical.com/page19.html). It's so solid it will last you forever. Got mine about 5 weeks ago and it has had a big impact. Thought my old Reef Ocotopus 225XS was pretty good but after seeing what this new skimmer pulls out- it's a huge upgrade. Most notable difference is with the old skimmer the filter socks clogged in about 2 weeks. Since I installed the new skimmer the socks have not overflowed- 5 weeks :) I'm gonna change them anyways when I do my next water change but still- that's pretty great.

hobbzz
04/10/2015, 11:00 AM
Mtc would be good. I would go with that or a used atb 1050

DrAsTiC
04/11/2015, 07:16 PM
Thank you Greg I totally forgot about MTC which as a reefer I am embarrassed to say so lol.

jschultzbass
04/12/2015, 08:04 AM
Another good one is Life Reef. I had my doubts at first but am crazy impressed with their skimmer. The website could use some updating but the owner Jeff is great to talk to and will get you exactly what you need.

azjohnny
04/12/2015, 07:56 PM
I have a Life Reef and if the MTC venturi skimmer had been available I might have bought it instead.

I really like the MTC

Skim
04/12/2015, 08:42 PM
I have run a Curve 9 and as for bang for the buck it skims and does a hell of job at it. If you get a Curve 9 get the neck cleaner you will need it. Out of all the skimmers I have used from Vertex to Reef Octopus and many others the Curve 9 reminds me of what my Becket Aerofoamer would pull out but you know Beckets mean BIG PUMPS if you want them to work well. I have the Curve 9 as a back up because it was too much for my 110 it would skim the most foul black stuff and then stop for 4 to 5 days until the organics built up again so for 210 I believe you said it should have no problem I think it just might start to work properly on your tank. If you can go see one its a beast of a skimmer you can fit a Omega 150 inside it and check out the impeller it is impressive its two step design.

Anyhow good luck with your choice.

Skim