PDA

View Full Version : Muriatic acid emergency

Moonstream
04/08/2015, 06:45 PM
I have some acid in my back yard- there's a good chance I added too much. Anyways, the bubbling has stopped and I've added a massive amount of baking soda- how do I know if the reaction has neutralized? The bubbling is done, in one of the buckets the bubbles have completely dispersed- some have some scuzzy bubbles on top that don't want to go away.

Help?

Also, I was told I could dump it out in my yard- is that correct or was I steered wrong?

Mustang67
04/08/2015, 07:49 PM
You are fine, the active acid has been dramatically reduced. Overflow is common. Take the dry rock out and rinse it in a new bucket with fresh water and some backing soda. Let it sit for 15 min or so, then take out, rinse off and let it dry.

In regard to acid that you used in the first place, hopefully you did not use it straight and mixed it with water. If so add some baking soda to it, like a cup worth and I believe you can poor it out on the ground. I mean I know physically you can, I did and had no issues. I am just not sure if its the eco friendly thing to do or considered hazardous at that point.

tkeracer619
04/08/2015, 08:14 PM
iirc you get table salt and water once the reaction has taken place. I probably wouldn't pour it on the yard.

Moonstream
04/08/2015, 08:57 PM
ok, thanks guys. I took the rock out and blasted it with a hose. have to wait to soak it in RO/DI until I get my unit.

I dumped a TON of baking soda into the water, my guess is that the water is actually pretty hard now. and yes, I did dilute the acid. not tryna dump pure HCl acid on anything, using it at all made me nervous, I hate using the stuff (in college intro chemistry we use it a ton)

Phildirt
04/08/2015, 09:41 PM
If you add more baking soda to the mixture and there is no reaction (no bubbling) then you have neutralized the acid.

disc1
04/08/2015, 10:31 PM
iirc you get table salt and water once the reaction has taken place.

That is correct.