PDA

View Full Version : types of macro that tangs leave alone.

hotelbravo
04/09/2015, 09:13 AM
Hello all, I am wanting to buy some macro but I am really concerned about my yellow tang eating it and I would waste the money. Are there types of macro that tangs usually leave alone or are they all situational. I prefer greeen and leafy if possible. It will be in my DT not in a refuge or sump. I also would like something that would attach to the sandbed.thanks!

Vilelent
04/09/2015, 10:13 AM
Hello all, I am wanting to buy some macro but I am really concerned about my yellow tang eating it and I would waste the money. Are there types of macro that tangs usually leave alone or are they all situational. I prefer greeen and leafy if possible. It will be in my DT not in a refuge or sump. I also would like something that would attach to the sandbed.thanks!

Any type of halimeda. Mermaid fans, shaving brushes. Anything calcareous. Everything else is fair game for the tang. Just depends on your tangs type of taste.

hotelbravo
04/09/2015, 10:17 AM
Thank you!

hotelbravo
04/09/2015, 02:09 PM
Where other than LA can I buy those at

phobos2deimos
04/09/2015, 03:46 PM
How many tangs/blennies do you have, and of what species?

Vilelent
04/09/2015, 05:01 PM
Where other than LA can I buy those at

live-plants.com

I get most of my stuff from these guys. The rest I get on ebay, you can find some great deals there. It seems to be seasonal though, so you just have to check back every now and then.

hotelbravo
04/09/2015, 08:23 PM
How many tangs/blennies do you have, and of what species?

No blennies. Only a yellow tang

phobos2deimos
04/10/2015, 10:01 AM
In addition to what Vilelent said, the more calcified it is the less likely something will have a taste for it.
But you may also find that with enough macro, or fast enough growing macro, or enough supplemental Nori feeding, they may not make much of a dent in most macros.
My hippo tang and linear blenny constantly sampled everything, but never made a dent in anything (other than trimming all the new growth off the top of my C. Prolifera).
They never touched my Dragon's Breath, Graciliaria Mammillaris, Eucheuma Spinosum, Sargassum, Blue Scroll, Dictyota (nuisance!), or any Halimeda, and I don't think they'd go after my Gracilaria Hayi, Galaxaura, or Bryothamnion. (lost them in a bad QT crash so couldn't say for sure)