PDA

View Full Version : clown pairing?

kwsjimmy
04/09/2015, 11:11 AM
I have a clown who is hosting my gig anemone. I introduced another clown from the same breeder, similar in size. They both sleep fine at night in the anemone, but during the day they seam to fight for dominance, I was curious how much fighting is too much? How can I tell if I have 2 females? They are both about 6 months old.

hotelbravo
04/09/2015, 11:17 AM
Keep an eye out for ripped fins. But there will likely be alot of fighting before it would get to the ripped fins

kwsjimmy
04/09/2015, 01:23 PM
Its been about a week, no ripped fins, just a little light discoloration by the mouth, but not bad, I've been over feeding both to ensure its not a food issue

Chuckd76
04/09/2015, 01:34 PM
From what I understand/have experienced, if the clowns have been alone for too long they can turn into females so depending on if your new one was alone it could have already changed sex. Also, if you get two that are similar in size the fighting, I've found, is usually worse.
I made the mistake of getting two that were too close in size and neither would give up the dominance. There were never any major fights and they did sleep in the same LTA together but would squabble all day. Ended up just seperating them and finding a much smaller clown. The small one almost immediately did the "please don't kill me shuffle" and all has been right ever since.
HTH.

kwsjimmy
04/09/2015, 07:01 PM
Okay so their are some ripped fins, so I guess I should separate the fish?