PDA

View Full Version : do people quarantine peppermint shrimp

scottneeld88
04/09/2015, 11:35 AM
I was wondering how long everyone quarantine peppermint shrimp or if they do at all? Im a believer in quarantine just got 24 peppermint shrimp for the 550gal mixed reef display tank and i want to put them in now. I read some were peppermint shrimp dont carry ick and are not relay common to be a carrier? Just looking for some input

gone fishin
04/09/2015, 12:26 PM
Some do some don't QT it is about ones risk tolerance.

you are correct inverts do not get ich, it is possible however that the water the shrimp came in does have some ich in it if there were fish mixed in with the shrimp. just my 2 cents worth, good luck.

Lucky Lefty
04/09/2015, 12:57 PM
Some will say QT anything that gets wet, others will say they simply acclimate and then put them in the dt.
With inverts, I drip acclimate, letting the water level double, then dump the water down to where it's just covering the livestock, then let the water almost triple, dump and then repeat one more time. By that time, they should be in almost 100% DT water, but I still scoop out some dt water in a separate container, and then "rinse" the livestock in that water right before I drop them in the dt.
I try to do everything I can to assure little no water aside from mine goes into my dt

Sk8r
04/09/2015, 01:41 PM
I use the rinse method.

BlackTip
04/09/2015, 02:13 PM
How do you actually rinse a shrimp?

MythicalReef
04/09/2015, 03:43 PM
Peppermint shrimp are not reef safe. They belong in FOWLR tanks only. Never qt'd a shrimp btw.

gone fishin
04/09/2015, 04:29 PM
Peppermint shrimp are not reef safe. They belong in FOWLR tanks only. Never qt'd a shrimp btw.

I have not heard that one before. Why not?

MythicalReef
04/09/2015, 04:55 PM
I have not heard that one before. Why not?

Personal experience and testimonials of other reefers. I have personally had to tear down a reef trying to catch peppermint shrimp after catching them in the act of munching corals. Well fed peppermints mind you. I've read numerous accounts of others having to do the same.

As a beginning reef keeper while doing research I read about "reef safe" invertebrates and believed what most people said about them, until I found out for myself.

Peppermint shrimp should be classified as 'reef safe with caution' at the very least. I do know that I'll never put one in a tank with corals ever again.

dymaxiun
04/09/2015, 05:35 PM
people can assume it's eating coral, however, it's usually after someone has fed corals mysis or other food. Also, if you don't provide food (or sparse feeding) any animal will eat anything.

Keep it happy, and fed = won't eat your corals.

MythicalReef
04/09/2015, 05:45 PM
people can assume it's eating coral, however, it's usually after someone has fed corals mysis or other food. Also, if you don't provide food (or sparse feeding) any animal will eat anything.

Keep it happy, and fed = won't eat your corals.

FALSE. Peppermint shrimp eat coral. Even the well fed ones. Add a peppermint shrimp at your own risk. Simple as that. YMMV.

WayneL333
04/09/2015, 05:52 PM
I've had peps annoy my clams to the point of death too.