PDA

View Full Version : What is this stuff?

kgravity
04/09/2015, 02:36 PM
The tank is a 40g and I keep it pretty clean I change out the filter socks every couple days but on the times I havent they last over a week before needing cleaned. So I did a water change tuesday night, and switched out my filter sock with some, fresh out of the washer. and today they were over flowing, also the foam in my phosban reactor was clogged. I didnt see anything really clogging them but today I see this slime all over one side of the glass which i geuss is the culprit. All the corals seem fine but im not sure what the slime is.

Can anyone tell me what it is?

wnehez
04/09/2015, 02:48 PM
What kind of corals do you have in there? My guess would be the slime would be coming from one of the corals.

shellsea
04/09/2015, 03:03 PM
Hard to tell from the pic but I had a bacteria bloom that was white slimy "snot".

kgravity
04/09/2015, 03:05 PM
Well its got a decent amount of stuff, at first I thought it might be my toadstool but he has been wide open and hasnt slimmed up. Plus this stuff is different than what he releases its not sheets but strands, some of the strand of slime on this stretch a a quarter of the tank (you can see a long piece stuck to the snail). I have seen a similar slime floating on top of my sump water before when i had no filter sock and it wraps itself around everything it touches.

But to answer your question:

1 welso brain
2 trachy
3 colonies of duncans (about 25 heads)
1 torch
3 wall frospawn
3 branching frogspawn
5 ricordia florida
1 dendro (4 heads)
1 large toadstool
a bunch of different kind of pallys
3 fruitloops zoas
3 rasta zoas
2 Xenia colonies
3 blue trumpets
2 neon trumpets
1 birdsnest
1 blue stlyophora
1 branching montipora
3 colonies of acans
1 lobo
1 iron man blasto

lol I think thats everything but I might have missed a few

kgravity
04/09/2015, 03:09 PM
forgot to add the photo

kgravity
04/09/2015, 03:12 PM
yeah my money is on a bacterial bloom too its very "snot like" I have also been having problems with my water change water having a dark grey to snot like slime and lots of it. I use reef crystals o tds ro water, and I try and clean out the mixing bin (one of those yellow lid black boxes from home depot) every other month

kgravity
04/09/2015, 03:14 PM
Im just not sure what would be feeding the bateria just from a water change.