PDA

View Full Version : I feel like RBTA needs to be back in the wild

tang named junkyard
04/09/2015, 05:09 PM
Its almost too big for my tank.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a294/imracin68j/RBTA_zpstliqtvsa.jpg

woodnaquanut
04/09/2015, 05:39 PM
Nice tank. Hope you are kidding about return. Once in a tank they should NEVER be returned to the wild.

EBHS grad a few ;) years ago.

wetWolger
04/09/2015, 05:51 PM
yea, never return.

but you can frag him!

kkittredge
04/09/2015, 07:29 PM
Nice, how big was he when you got him and how long ago?

eddiereefs
04/09/2015, 07:36 PM
Oh now your just showing off :p, i just bought a little four incher.

Nihoa
04/09/2015, 08:12 PM
Why is returning to the wild not recommended?

PhaneSoul
04/09/2015, 08:47 PM
You could accidentally bring a foreign species of something with it, take the lionfish debacle for example

joshky
04/09/2015, 08:53 PM

If everything in your tank is locally collected, and I mean absolutely everything, it's OK to return.

whiteshark
04/09/2015, 08:53 PM

Lionfish, zebra mussels, goldfish in the lakes in Colorado, Brook trout in the west, Asian carp, European starlings, Didymosphenia geminata... The list goes on and on of non-native species that were introduced and began to choke out native populations. On top of that you risk introducing disease to a wild population. It's just a terrible idea.

wetWolger
04/09/2015, 09:17 PM
It's better to kill it, than return it to the wild and cause possibly hundreds of deaths of native species...and possibly completely change an ecosystem.

Like whiteshark said, even if the species is native, it can introduce new diseases, or may be a slight, hard to detect variation from the native species...all of which can cause serious issues.

** Edit...I can't say it enough...DO NOT DO IT...EVER

(as said earlier, the OP may not have been serious about it, I only keep saying this because it's so incredibly important....we are battling a lot of issues with the perception of our hobby, the last thing we need to do is make things worse)

tang named junkyard
04/09/2015, 10:01 PM
Ya, I'm kidding but I really do hope it stops growing. I've had it about a year. Was about the size of a tennis ball when I got it and it had more of a bubble look. Now it's stringy. Has yet to split.

maynardjames
04/10/2015, 03:19 AM
Took mine forever to split or seemed like it anyway
Now have 2 bout same size as yours. My maroon pair switch between the two for no apparent reason. They will stay with one lay & tend to eggs. Then switch to other &
start over.

pyithar
04/10/2015, 03:25 AM
a news came up in our local newspaper a few months ago about a fish that looked like an alligator found in yangon river. many people thought it's some kind of strange event. what they didn't know was a friend of mine's friend had released an alligator gar into the river because it was getting so big the guy couldn't take care of it anymore. the fish was 1 foot bigger than before by the time it was caught. i believe a lot of native fishes were eaten during that time. so +1 on not returning to the wild. someone could collect it and take it home anyway. if you don't want it anymore, you could sell it.

toothybugs
04/10/2015, 06:01 AM
This seems like a good time to consider a bigger tank ;) And your reasons are certainly valid, you don't just want one, your nem needs one!