PDA

View Full Version : Fish keep dying in QT tank

brianfarm6767
04/10/2015, 10:29 AM
My current setup is currently a little over a year old now. When I first started I setup a QT tank that I put all my new fish into for around 6 weeks before they went into my display. Out of around 10 fish I purchased 9 of them made into my display and are still doing great.

About 4 months ago I decided to add a few more fish to my display which included a foxface, kole tang, schooling bannerfish, and a school of chromis. Over the past 4 months I have tried to QT each of these fish at different times and have lost all of them before they could get past the 6 week mark. I have lost 2 foxfaces, 2 kole tangs, 2 schooling bannerfish and 4 chromis.

My first QT was a 20 gallon long that after I lost the first foxface and kole I replaced with a new 20 gallon tall tank. This tank was cycled with media from my display. I have a HOB filter, heater and powerhead in the QT. I have tested ammonia and have not seen a spike and maintained at least 2 25% water changes a week.

Most of these fish showed signs of illness that led me to use prazipro and or cupermine over the time in QT. Most recently the latest foxface kept developing black spots that I diagnosed as black ich.

I find it hard to believe that with littler experience with saltwater fish a little over a year ago I could QT all the fish safely and now I am losing everything.

Any ideas on what could be causing this. It is becoming very frustrating and very costly to keep trying and losing fish. I have kept a freshwater converted molly in the QT tank between fish to maintain the bio filtration, and that fish seems to still be doing fine.

kmbyrnes
04/10/2015, 04:24 PM
Are they all from the same source?

Jaffy
04/10/2015, 04:38 PM
Where are these fish comming from? You wouldn't see disease symptoms on all of the fish that you purchase - it sounds like you are purchasing sick fish. Also how big are the fish? My foxface was relatively small And I QT him in a 13g - he hated it and never was yellow fully. Once in display after my QT period his colors came. Sometimes If the QT is small for fish that need swimming space (tangs-fox) it has the opposite effect

gone fishin
04/10/2015, 04:42 PM
Are you trying to QT a foxface, kole tang, schooling bannerfish, and a school of chromis all at once. Using cupramine can affect fish differently some do not tolerate it very well.

I would suggest QT one or two fish at a time and doing the Tank transfer method for ich treatment. Followed then by 4-5 weeks in a QT. Also treat with two rounds of prazi at some point.

snorvich
04/10/2015, 04:56 PM
I would suggest QT one or two fish at a time and doing the Tank transfer method for ich treatment. Followed then by 4-5 weeks in a QT. Also treat with two rounds of prazi at some point.

I agree.