PDA

View Full Version : Hawaiian Cladactella Manni Experiences (Maroon/Red Anemone)

JxP
04/10/2015, 12:53 PM
Anyone ever had one of these? I read a few dated articles online that talk about their difficulty due to them living in high energy surge zones, but nothing recent. My LFS has some that they recently harvested from a nearby location so at least the specimens are in great shape (at the moment anyway).

I have a well established 75 gallon tank with a 40 gallon refugium/sump. The tank has Vortech pumps, AI Hydra lighting, and I only use NSW that comes from within a few miles of their natural habitat. Unfortunately, I don't want to turn my tank into a wave/whirlpool simulator to keep this species alive which may be a requirement? (currently run in Reef Crest or Lagoon mode)

The store that sells them is known for being pretty responsible so I am not sure that they would harvest something that is doomed in home aquariums (unlike some of their competitors).

Interested in hearing experiences on this one.

JxP
04/11/2015, 12:12 AM
So given the lack of information online and the tiny sample of people that have reported their experiences with this species I decided I will give it a go myself. I will take pictures and document it here.

crazyhawaiian
08/08/2015, 10:52 PM
I picked one up too. So far so good. I've been feeding it every 2-3 days with a variety of shellfish soaked in Reef Plus aminos/vitamins. Its been almost 2 months and its not just surviving but growing. Super sticky tentacles. I also use NSW from the Waikiki Aquarium in 0 ppm nitrate/phos 36 gal reef. Next I'm gonna introduce a Clarkii and monitor closely.

jmm
08/09/2015, 08:42 AM
Long, long ago (1973) on a trip to Hawaii I collected about 10 of these things. I put them in orange juice bottles and brought them back in my luggage. The bottles were very cold when I retrieved them after a 6 hour trip.

I remember them being in surge zones hit by crashing waves that threw things into their tentacles. You could hardly pull anything out of their grasp.

In the home aquarium they ate and captured anything that came close. They lived a few months which was not bad for captive anemones in those days. You have to remember (or learn) that state-of-the-art aquariums were air-driven, undergravel filters in those days.

In more recent trips to Hawaii I looked but didn't see any of them.