PDA

View Full Version : Ocean Free Hydra 30 Internal Filter 500l/h

Billy1205
04/10/2015, 07:40 PM
Hi,

I'm quite new to SW tank, therefore i'm still under the process of research. Hope there is any pro could help me.
During my research just now, i saw this product "ocean free hydra" it claim that it could change ammonia directly into nitrogen, therefore it is able to control ammonia, nitrite and nitrate at a very low level. Just wondering any of you use this before? any thought?

nmotz
04/11/2015, 02:21 AM
I think what would concern me about this product is that it makes a lot of boastful claims without any real science to back it up. I read a review on it which says that there are some charts that show how it supposedly removes toxins but the details are vague.

If it were me, I wouldn't use this. The reason is because your LR is capable of converting ammonia to nitrogen if you have enough of it, and it's all natural. I don't think it'll necessarily be harmful or anything, but I wouldn't rely on this device or others like it to maintain stable water parameters.

But, if you're the type that likes to experiment you should give it a go and let us all know how things turn out. Good luck!

dkeller_nc
04/11/2015, 09:30 AM
Welcome to Reef Central!

Yes, I'd second the "stay away" thought on this unit. If you're looking to set up your first tank, I'd strongly encourage to invest the day or so reading the "setting up" sticky thread at the top of the forum. Doing so will save you a lot of money, and give you the best possible probability of setting up a successful reef.

You might also use the forum tools to search for threads started by Sk8r (forum mod on the "New to the Hobby" section); she regularly authors posts that are relevant to avoiding newbie mistakes and offering relevant advice on equipment, livestock and maintenance.

Billy1205
04/14/2015, 01:46 AM
Thank you for all your reply. Actually my LFS did recommended to me regarding this filter, since they use it in their reef tank now. They told me that, with this filter, I can add fish immediately into the newly set up SW tank without cycle it. Therefore I was wondering how true it is as there is not much review on this filter. However, my LFS told me that, currently he under the process of experiment, if it really work then he gonna bring in this filter into his store.