PDA

View Full Version : Is this a fish disease?

Haluko
04/11/2015, 12:09 AM
Hello,
I need help. I lost my fish. Since, I bought Chromis and every time I try to re-introduce them into the tank they pass out. When I take them out and place them back in the mover tank they come to and seem fine if unhappy with how ugly their new home is compared to the fish store. The mover tank is a plastic tub – no view :(
Two weeks ago I moved an established, healthy 18 gallon Nano saltwater tank. My skunk clown had been with me since I first established the tank 7 years ago. One of my goby's would lay fry and the Valentini and Wrasse would eat from my hand. In the beginning I had water issues but I have been steady for 3 to 4 years now. For example, salinity, nitrates.
Preparing for the move I separated the Valentini, skunk clown, 2 goby's and the red flame wrasse with the crabs into a plastic mover tank with a heater and filter. I placed the liverock into it's own Styrofoam container. I kept the fish like this for 3 days while I moved the Nano tank from one location to the next.
Right before moving the tank I removed most of the water from the Nano tank; left approx. an inch of water at the bottom of the tank with an inch of live sand [ 2 - 3 inches total ]. I re-installed the Nano tank 2 hours later. Because I thought I was doing good [Spring Cleaning] at the new location I filled up the Nano tank with fresh saltwater [ I had gotten rid of the original tank water], heated the tank, placed a cleaned Sea Chem Purigen filter, checked my salt, nitrates, PH and alkalinity levels. The water tests came back within acceptable levels. My PH would fluctuate between 8.0 - 8.4 and the nitrates and ammonia were a little high [ I expected this with the new saltwater ] so I added API AMMO Lock and Stress Coat with a cap of Fritz Algea remover. Then the next day I placed the fish and crabs back into the Nano Tank. Immediately the fish seemed stressed. I continued to check the water throughout the day and my tests were at acceptable levels. In two days the Valentini died. I put the fish and crabs back into my transport container tank and had the fish store check my water. The salt water tests results were the same...nitrates on the high end of acceptable but still good everything else fine.

I did a half of the tank water change with fresh saltwater and monitored the levels for another 2 days. The tank was stable. Ammonia showed yet the AMMO Lock would make this to be not harmful for the fish. I placed the fish back in the tank in the afternoon. In the evening the fish seemed extremely stressed again. The wrasse was not swimming. I placed the fish back into the container tank and gave the Nano tank 2 more days to cycle. Two days later I placed the fish back into the Nano tank and the wrasse and the clown fish died. The goby was unconscious. I removed the goby [ he resuscitated once in the container tank ] and added half a bottle of the 2oz. One and Only.

I went to another fish store, had them check the water. Again my water levels are good. This time zero nitrates. I bought two Chromis as tester fish because I thought the goby might be so stressed it would not be a good gauge if it died. I placed the 2 Chromis and the goby into the nano tank. The Chromis swam once around the diameter of the tank then one Chomis sank to the bottom the second went belly up [ instantly ] and the goby went unconscious. I removed the fish with my hand into the container tank. The fish began moving right away. That evening they ate the fish pellets and flakes I gave them. Today the fish seem healthy and they are still in the container tank.
I then bought Dr. Tim’s Natural Waste Cleaner again waited a day before trying to introduce a Chromis into the tank. The fish was very stressed; hid under a rock. So I placed him back in the container tank. Then I noticed the snails that had been fine were crawling towards the top of the tank. I thought maybe I put too much of the Waste Cleaner because I put the correct amount yet added new solution too soon; the bottle says once a week and I added a second dose the next day. The solution removes the oxygen from the tank to clean the sand bed and so I thought maybe there was not enough oxygen for the fish. Dr. Tim’s says I might have hydrogen sulfate accumulated in the tank. I am not sure…I do not smell the ‘egg smell’ in the water and I am not breeding black algae. The tank does have a strong copper color algae growth that at first the Chemi Elite seemed to stop and 2 days later I am not so sure. Plus the new Purigen I placed 4 – 5 days ago is turning used at the corners. Normally this lasts me a few months before I have to re-activate it.
Next, I bought Sea Chem Phos Guard to try and eliminate the extra phosphate. I cannot figure out what went wrong? New water should not kill off all the fish when the 10lb. liverock was the original in the tank, I left the sand bed with another inch of water and the water tests the entire time have read good. Did I completely kill the tank? I have the 4 Chromis , the one goby, the hermit crabs and the snails in the transport tank. They are eating some. They seem healthy but unhappy. I am unhappy watching where they live  What a horrible experience!! Thank you for reading this post and any help you can give me on this problem.

ThRoewer
04/11/2015, 01:02 AM
Have you checked for electricity in the water?
That would be the only thing I could imagine to stun a fish instantly and make snails want to get out of the water.