PDA

View Full Version : Need an LED Guru

Ches
04/11/2015, 03:16 AM
I've had these Ecoxotic LEDs for a while but this one has always had an issue with blinking for time to time, which Im assuming its hot. I checked it out and one row is not on which Im assuming is letting to much current to the other causeing the heat issue. The other LED neer blinks and they were bought new at the same time. I tested each diode and 2 in the row does not work. Is there a fix for this or just give up? I plan on puchasing 2-3 AI primes in the future and was counting on these until then. Any help is appreciated. Maybe I can attempt to build my own. Im running a 58g SPS/LPS tanK and my only issue is lighting until I get the AI Primes.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=9561&pictureid=69217

http://reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=9561&pictureid=69216

perkint
04/11/2015, 04:04 AM
If you can work out what LEDs are shot you could try replacing them, but personally I'd ditch it and knock up a full DIY instead...

Tim

zachts
04/11/2015, 09:20 AM
upon quick assessment from those pics it looks to be 6 rows of 6 LEDs wired in parrellel. Which is a pretty poor design due to some LEDs running hotter and getting more current than others.

Replacing the dead LEDs in that first string would be fairly simple and would likely get you several more months out of the unit if not longer. Just clip the leads close to the diode with a nail cliper or something and remove the diode and then desolder and clean up the pads. Any white or blue 3 watt type LED that physically looks the same can be used as a replacement.

Since it seems the thermal switch is intervening I think your initial thought about too much current to the remaining LEDs causing them to heat up is acurate, that said only down one string, it was probably running at the ragged edge of thermal shut down from the beginning.

Find and replace the bad LED in that string. and see if you can increase air flow to the heatsink. Maybe it needs a new fan? That should keep it from shutting down.

Thermal switches go bad from time to time as well and it may be tripping to low. If it still blinks after replacing the LED and increasing air flow you could replace the switch or just by pass it since you'll be replacing the fixture soon anyway.