PDA

View Full Version : Heater issue with WC mix

Dkuhlmann
04/11/2015, 03:19 AM
So I mixed my water for a water change and put a heater in the tub of mixed water/reef salt along with a powerhead. All was going well then all of a sudden the heater started sparking internally and half filled with water :angryfire:

Do you think my water mix is ok to still use? Is there anything I can test for that would make me discard this water and start fresh, or let me know it's in fact OK to use? Yeah I probably already know this answer just wanted to get others opinions on if I should use it or down the drain?

Member No. 1
04/11/2015, 04:35 AM
If you unplugged it right away, then pulled it out, I wouldn't worry about it. Water leaked into the heater, it's not like something leaked out.

julie180
04/11/2015, 04:48 AM
I would probably toss it. Salt is cheap compared to the potential problems it could cause.

Dkuhlmann
04/11/2015, 05:00 AM
If you unplugged it right away, then pulled it out, I wouldn't worry about it. Water leaked into the heater, it's not like something leaked out.

This was my first thought and one that makes logical sense. HOWEVER... it wouldn't take much I would think to mess up the water.

I would probably toss it. Salt is cheap compared to the potential problems it could cause.

I'm probably going to do this. My biggest issue is I don't have either an ro or rodi here and will have to get some later today. I'll be buying a unit in the near future.

I did test the water and all parameters are good.

Member No. 1
04/11/2015, 05:05 AM
This was my first thought and one that makes logical sense. HOWEVER... it wouldn't take much I would think to mess up the water.

I'm probably going to do this. My biggest issue is I don't have either an ro or rodi here and will have to get some later today. I'll be buying a unit in the near future.

I did test the water and all parameters are good.

You should do what gives you a warm and fuzzy feeling, but I would just use the water. What's inside the heater that could leach out that quick? It's not like it was liquid filled and it broke open in the water.

Dkuhlmann
04/11/2015, 05:09 AM
You should do what gives you a warm and fuzzy feeling, but I would just use the water. What's inside the heater that could leach out that quick? It's not like it was liquid filled and it broke open in the water.

I'm leaning towards using it. I've had the heater in a dry bucket for over an hour and it's not leaking even a drop.

I've put another heater in and once the water is to temp I'll more than likely do my wc.