PDA

View Full Version : MP10 W Placement

Mbakeroo
04/11/2015, 09:27 AM
Just upgraded to ONE MP10 W for my 45 gal in anticipation of getting some corals.

See pic. I just want to be sure I am placing it in the most ideal spot and have the best setting . . . was thinking of the reef setting (at what percentage??).

Thanks for any input, Maria

dkeller_nc
04/11/2015, 09:35 AM
I'd place it on the opposite wall from the one it's currently occupying. Vortex pumps are quite powerful when run near maximum capacity, and the best use of the flow would be to let it spread out a bit before it hits your rockwork/coral. It's also most efficient when placed about 4-5" below the water line; that allows the flow to stir the water's surface in the tank to facilitate gas exchange.

BTW - I'm afraid the chevron tang you have in the tank is going to very rapidly outgrow it; this species gets very large in a hurry, and the typical minimum tank size recommended for it is 180 gallons.

If you'd like advice on fish selections that are suitable for your tank size and are compatible with corals, the "check your fish selections here" sticky at the top of this forum section is a great resource.

Mbakeroo
04/11/2015, 09:36 AM
lol, yes the Tang is a temporary resident for a friend while they are revamping their wall tank.

I do have the small Koralia I could put in the tank with it for now until the funds allow for another Vortech if anyone thinks that is a good idea.

thegrun
04/11/2015, 09:37 AM
With a single unit it doesn't matter that much, but I would be inclined to place it on the opposite side you have it on now since you already have another powerhead on that side. Because all your rocks are on that side also it will probably be fine if you wanted to keep the right hand side clear for viewing, but placing it on the right hand side would give you slightly better cross flow.