PDA

View Full Version : 6 foot 100 gallon tank stand height?

JoeVandal49
04/11/2015, 01:02 PM
So i just picked up a 72x18x19 105 gallon tank. I got it used for a great deal.

I currently have a 55g mixed reef that sits low on an old mid century modern credenza. I purposely placed it lower for viewing while sitting on the couch and for my three young daughters and their friends.

I also have a 300g FOWLR stock tank. Obviously this is top down viewing.

For the new 100 gallon, i want a taller height, something that would be comfortable viewing for a standing adult but i also need some balance with the height of the tank itself.

Since its relatively short for a 6 foot tank, i feel like it almost needs to sit higher than most standard type stands.

This is going to be a really slow build, trying to correct some of the mistakes i made setting up my 55g.

Any suggestions on stand height, or build for this size aquarium would be greatly appreciated.

billdogg
04/11/2015, 01:21 PM
I would go in the 36-40 range. My 120 sits at 36 and is very easy to look in to. Because the tank itself is another 24" tall, it becomes a problem at cleaning time. I'm 5'11 and have to use a step stool.

Any taller than 40 looks top heavy to me

jm.02

JoeVandal49
04/11/2015, 02:47 PM
I also have an option of going in wall which im considering. Do in wall tanks typically follow tank stand standards when it comes to height?

I have to admit, these may be stupid questions, but where i live there are limited amounts of people in the hobby, so i have not seen many private systems in person. Most of what i have encountered are public installations and LFS. So thats why im looking for opinions. If you have one please share.

Crush Coral
04/11/2015, 06:19 PM
My suggestion is to measure up to your arm pit. I just bought a 90 and had the stand made at 32". It will be as high as possible and me not need a stool to work in it. I am 6' 1" and my total stand/tank height is 56".

thegrun
04/11/2015, 08:06 PM
If you plan on having a sump and protein skimmer under the tank in the stand be sure to allow for the skimmer and serviceability head height. I personally like taller stands, I'm just completing a stand for a 120 and I built it at 40" tall.

LeakyZ
04/12/2015, 06:55 AM
I have a 150 in the wall at 36" to bottom of tank wish it was higher, probably 42". But not sure if being on a stand will look too tall. I find myself leaning over a lot to look into it