PDA

View Full Version : Lyretail Anthias - Adding Females

EricGRIT
04/11/2015, 02:44 PM
In my 180 DT I have one male and two female Lyretail Anthias. They are doing great, but I wanted a few more females. So today I added three females to QT. What I didn't think about was whether any females would change to male in the QT timeframe.

I checked around and couldn't find any resources/threads that deal with my exact situation, so feel free to link me to any good info.

As I see it, I have a few options.

Option 1: QT as normal and introduce the three new females once QT is over.
Option 2: Put my male and two females into the QT with the new females.
Option 3: Skip QT on the three new females and put them into the DT immediately.

If a female does start to change to male, will it be a problem for any of them once I introduce them to the DT?

EricGRIT
04/11/2015, 06:19 PM
Bump

ca1ore
04/11/2015, 09:17 PM
Better to post this to the Reef Fishes forum. You'll get more opinions there. Personally, I've never had any female anthias undergo gender change within the confines of QT, so I suspect you are worrying unecessarily. If it does happen, I would simply not introduce it.

ebushrow
04/11/2015, 09:52 PM
Most sexually dimorphic species take several months to change sexes....flame wrasses for example take at min. of 6 months to become dominate and change sex. One word of caution though .... You never know what they were kept with between capture and getting to you....most fish are a week to 3 weeks before they hit the lfs... And if they were with a male during that time, you should be safe with a 8 week qt IMO

EricGRIT
04/11/2015, 10:09 PM
Better to post this to the Reef Fishes forum. You'll get more opinions there. Personally, I've never had any female anthias undergo gender change within the confines of QT, so I suspect you are worrying unecessarily. If it does happen, I would simply not introduce it.

Welp, totally forgot that forum existed. In any case, thank you for the response. I think I'm worrying unecessarily as well, just figured I'd check it out before I went too far into QT.

ca1ore
04/11/2015, 11:16 PM
Though I have had the opposite happen. Bought four bimac females, got them through 8 weeks of QT without issue. Saw a beautiful pmale subsequently, but before I could get it through QT one of the established females had turned. Gaaaak! Not hard to resell fortunately.

kmbyrnes
04/12/2015, 08:30 AM
I was wondering the same myself. Thanks for asking the question. I can now be searching for 2 more to add to the pair I have.