PDA

View Full Version : Curing Pukani dry "live" rock naturally - vinegar, peroxide...?

Salty150
04/11/2015, 03:20 PM
I was wondering if anyone here has cured Pukani dry "live" rock "naturally" with vinegar or peroxide, or...?

Instead of using bleach or acid, etc.

It is my understanding that Pukani has a lot of dead material/matter in it - and that it also leaches phosphates.

And because of this you need to cure it with something - either "naturally" with vinegar, peroxide, etc... or an acid or bleach, etc...

:confused:

tkeracer619
04/11/2015, 03:28 PM
This is how I did it.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2145395

Spectral_Ranger
04/11/2015, 04:20 PM
I'm about three weeks in cooking some Pukani of my own. Put it in a Brute container with RO/DI fresh water, a strong pump for circulation, and a heater set at 82 degrees. Used Seakleer every other day to precipitate the phosphates out, and 100% water change each week. Phosphates skyrocketed at first, but are coming down steadily (as measured every other day before next dose of Seakleer). I'm now at .06 ppm, so think I'm about ready to put them in the tank (which I'm just now setting up).

Seems like the amount dead material and phosphates in rock can vary quite a bit batch to batch. Think I got lucky relative to some other folks here. Been having bad luck with stuff breaking in shipments, though...

NTP66
04/11/2015, 05:09 PM
Adding to the other comments, I also found it beneficial to take the rock outside in between curing and scrubbing it with a brush and taking a garden hose to it. 10 minutes of effort, and a good deal of gunk came off.

tkeracer619
04/12/2015, 09:07 AM
If you are at .06ppm I would toss some GFO in a reactor on it. LC doesn't seem to get the very last bit and if it does the time to do it is greatly increased. I've found one or two rounds of gfo strips the last little bit much quicker.

Spectral_Ranger
04/12/2015, 03:29 PM
If you are at .06ppm I would toss some GFO in a reactor on it. LC doesn't seem to get the very last bit and if it does the time to do it is greatly increased. I've found one or two rounds of gfo strips the last little bit much quicker.

Just did another measurement and it's inching down very slowly at this point. Seems to have followed a very nice asymptotic curve. Gonna pick up a reactor and get them in the tank in the next few days.